Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Disco. 85,550 miles. Has oil leak and ticking sound. At LR dealership now. Ticking sound light when first start, than louder once engine heats up. Increases when accelerating. Oil leak, and smells like "burned oil" when turned off. Service rep says sounds like Lifters. No word yet on oil leak. Our VIN falls within the range for the oil pump defect.

We live in Oahu, so do not have access to many places that will work on LR, and we have a AUL extended warranty, so not many places that are not a dealership will take the warranty. Therefore, I am at the dealership mercy. We will have to pay out of pocket for what is not paid by warranty. In the mainland, LR accepted what the warranty would pay so we never had any out of pocket expense. Here, this LR dealership (only one on the island) states that their prices are more than the warranty to cover costs of shipping parts here. Some things are almost twice the amount though, so that would be called price gouging.

Questions: 1. If the ticking is bad lifters, what can we expect this to cost? 2. Have been reading that not many people have any luck with LR replacing the engine due to the oil pump failure, even though a TSB was issued for it, and that was the recommended solution. So what can be done. Will a new oil pump fix the issue, or will it return? How much should a new oil pump cost?

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Just because the engine has a tick, doesn't mean you have a lifter issue, it can be any part of the valve train. If it were a lifter, you would have to change all the lifters and the cam cause it is soft and new lifters on a semi warn cam lobe will kill it.
If you want some help with this, PM me your number and a good time for me to call you Tuesday.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike,

First dealership thought it was just the Lifters but they wanted to remove the oil pan first to check. Now this -

We found some other issues, good thing we took out oil pan to inspect

2 cam shaft lobes have excessive wear as compared to others

Front crankshaft counter weights discolored like it overheated

Copper strand found in oil pick up tube

Only place in engine that uses copper is in bearings

Recommend to replace engine, Total estimate to replace engine $13,411.46

HELP!

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
PM me your number, I think we should talk.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To add something new. Spoke to my AUL extended warranty who said that they are trying to locate an engine,and once located would call the dealership back to discuss numbers and then dealership would call me to determine course of action. The dealership rep did not know this so the price for a new engine is a dealer qoute. The warranty person asked if maybe an addition number was added on to their quote by accident, when I read her the prices they listed she said that was more than outrageous, that a new engine would be no more than around $3000. Relayed back to rep at dealership who said he was never told this. So you can see what I am working with here.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
We need to talk before you make any decisions.
As for your warranty quote, a new short block will cost way in excess of $5000 plus at least $2500 for labor and other needed parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts