Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm familiar with what ACE does, but not positive how it works. From what I've read it's an electronically and hydraulically control system that exerts onto the torsion bars to keep things stable. My question, does going to a coilover system (OME lift for example) require you to get rid of the ACE system? Or is it completely independent of the coil and shock?

·
laments the death of industrial strength soup spor
1,382 Posts
its a hydrolic piston on oppisite corners, passenger front, driver rear. one side of the swaybar. you can lift it 3 inches max for it to stay happy. it's what i've done as well as disco mike. i'm sure some others too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its a hydrolic piston on oppisite corners, passenger front, driver rear. one side of the swaybar. you can lift it 3 inches max for it to stay happy. it's what i've done as well as disco mike. i'm sure some others too.
Ok, great. So no technical challenges in installing a list, or any type of new suspension on an ACE equipped vehicle? I guess in my head I figured it had to tie into the shocks or air somehow. Not the case apparently?

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Such is not the case with an SLS equipped vehicle since the rear uses airbags, correct? Does removing that equipment pose any challenges? I read about a lot of the headaches with the OEM bags.
Why would you want to remove it? You can still do a lift with SLS.

·
1,382 Posts
yea, i've kept mine. only one leaky bag in almost four years. bought a couple of spares to keep on hand. i wouldn't want to be without the air, comfy ride and always level no matter the load.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why would you want to remove it? You can still do a lift with SLS.
Can you do all the standard lifts and maintain the rear air? I'm not familiar with the rear suspension setup on the disco. But my understanding of the lift kits like OME, is that they area coilover lift. Wouldn't this replace any current airbags?

·
Registered
496 Posts
I wouldn't swap the SLS until you have a problem with it. But at the very first sign of a problem though, I wouldn't hesitate 1 second to swap it to coils.

That's what I did and the peace of mind is priceless. Maybe it can fail once every 4 years, but it can be in the very worst of places, like in a ski lodge, hours away from home or the likes. This being a Land Rover, it is also one less thing to go wrong. Why not eliminate the known weeknesses when you can. I'd order a full 4 coils kit. That way when you do have a problem with SLS, and you will....You'll have the parts to do the swap. All you'll need is the spring bottom plates with bolts that the dealer keeps in stock (tells a lot right there doesn't it ?!?...) and coil isolators. But you will have saved by buying the kit instead of separate parts.

Ditto for no problem with ACE and an Old Man Emu 2 inch lift.

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
Such is not the case with an SLS equipped vehicle since the rear uses airbags, correct? Does removing that equipment pose any challenges? I read about a lot of the headaches with the OEM bags.
Why not install a RTE 2" lift for the SLS and then it can be adjusted up to nearly 4"s if wanted.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wouldn't swap the SLS until you have a problem with it. But at the very first sign of a problem though, I wouldn't hesitate 1 second to swap it to coils.

That's what I did and the peace of mind is priceless. Maybe it can fail once every 4 years, but it can be in the very worst of places, like in a ski lodge, hours away from home or the likes. This being a Land Rover, it is also one less thing to go wrong. Why not eliminate the known weeknesses when you can. I'd order a full 4 coils kit. That way when you do have a problem with SLS, and you will....You'll have the parts to do the swap. All you'll need is the spring bottom plates with bolts that the dealer keeps in stock (tells a lot right there doesn't it ?!?...) and coil isolators. But you will have saved by buying the kit instead of separate parts.

Ditto for no problem with ACE and an Old Man Emu 2 inch lift.
That's great advice, and probably exactly what I'll look into doing!

Why not install a RTE 2" lift for the SLS and then it can be adjusted up to nearly 4"s if wanted.
I'm not familiar with RTE, I just know OME makes quality parts from a previous FJ install. In your opinion, RTE would be the route to go?

·
Registered
496 Posts
RTE make SLS spacers along with full suspension. OME make the most comfortable riding suspension. I never compared, but that's their reputation.

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
That's great advice, and probably exactly what I'll look into doing!

I'm not familiar with RTE, I just know OME makes quality parts from a previous FJ install. In your opinion, RTE would be the route to go?
Only if you wanted to keep your air suspension, other wise you will need to do a coil conversion replacing all 4 shocks and coils along with a new steering stabilizer.
What will you be using this truck for, how much wheeling and how difficult?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Only if you wanted to keep your air suspension, other wise you will need to do a coil conversion replacing all 4 shocks and coils along with a new steering stabilizer.
What will you be using this truck for, how much wheeling and how difficult?
Very little off roading, and possibly some light towing. It will see 99% street use.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So does using the RTE 2" body lift and aftermarket coils (such as RTE or OME as recomended when using the body lift) result in a 4" overall lift, because I certainly don't want/need to go more than 2" total.

·
1,382 Posts
So does using the RTE 2" body lift and aftermarket coils (such as RTE or OME as recomended when using the body lift) result in a 4" overall lift, because I certainly don't want/need to go more than 2" total.
there is no body lift for a d2 you want to look at the sls spacers (self leveling suspension i.e. air bags) on their site. ome springs in front and sls spacers in back. ome shocks all around. but if it's for 99% street why do you want to lift it?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
there is no body lift for a d2 you want to look at the sls spacers (self leveling suspension i.e. air bags) on their site. ome springs in front and sls spacers in back. ome shocks all around. but if it's for 99% street why do you want to lift it?
Well 99% may be pushing it, more like 90%. I want the capability to be able to go off road, and I also appreciate the looks of a lifted disco. This will be my first time working on vehicle with any type of air suspension, but I think I am finally wrapping my mind around it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts