Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not yet an owner. My primary attraction to the Land Rover is the driver seating, which is ideal for my sciatica. But I am scared based on the maintanence stories I have heard. Are there issues with all these cars, or are the problems isolated, but costly?

Would love to hear from people who have had few expensive repairs? Or do you buy these cars understanding that you'll need to spend a couple thousand a year on repairs.

Just wondering?

Steve

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
404 Posts
I am not yet an owner. My primary attraction to the Land Rover is the driver seating, which is ideal for my sciatica. But I am scared based on the maintanence stories I have heard. Are there issues with all these cars, or are the problems isolated, but costly?

Would love to hear from people who have had few expensive repairs? Or do you buy these cars understanding that you'll need to spend a couple thousand a year on repairs.

Just wondering?

Steve
Honestly, I love my LR, but I wouldn’t get one if you are worried about maintenance. You are most likely going to have to budget aside money for repairs. Keep in mind you don’t just have to fix stuff that breaks, but preventative maintenance is key on these, which is why if you do buy one used, inspect the service history with a fine tooth comb. And large stuff can and does break (air suspension parts and some model-specific stuff comes to mind), which could cost you a fortune if you can’t find a good shop or preferably work on it yourself. Honestly, if I were in your position, I’d just get a Volvo XC90. The seats on those are designed by spine surgeons and (while not 100% perfect) they are far more reliable and more comfortable in my and most peoples opinion. Source: I’ve owned three of the Volvos, and my 03 Discovery is on its 3rd set of head gaskets, second set of lifters, 4th set of valve cover gaskets, second timing chain/gears, and third oil pump (which is currently doing weird intermittent drops of pressure at idle) with only 123k miles on it. Make of that what you will.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can go both ways most guys on here have the afore mentioned serise II discos. The engines in them suck but most other things are ok. The newer cars i recommend getting one with a 5.0l v8 thats a real powerful motor and its pretty reliable coolant manifolds and timing chains are the biggest worries on them. Stay clear of the v6 based on the v8 it shares most of the parts of the v8 but its much more prone to damage when in an overheat condition. Stay away from the small cars like evouque and disco sport.

·
very disco
2,802 Posts
I’ve owned an unreasonable amount of rovers in my time on this planet, and in can say from experience that like any other used vehicle, it’s greatly dependent upon the service history. Rovers need some specific maintenance above and beyond your average vehicle, due to its capabilities above and beyond average.

cheap rovers are likely a money pit as they have no service history and need lots of work (hence being cheap).

if you can and will do your own service, it’s no big deal… but sciatica seems to counterindicate that.

spend real money and get a service contract IMHO, or find another comfy car that isn’t as cool or needy.

Reactions: V50_M66

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Unless you need a LR for specific reasons like offroading, I would buy something else. You will go broke having the dealer or an indy keep it running if you cannot/are not willing to fix it yourself. I have had a '99 DII for about twenty years now and I have just about gotten all the bugs out of it. The latest problem is the rear seat - it will not go back up because the seat belt retractor will not release the seatbelt and I cannot push the back into the upright position. It is always something. Unless you are willing to deal with things like this on a recurring basis, buy something else.

·
Registered
2008 Land Rover LR3 HSE V8
59 Posts

Just wondering?

Steve
Can’t recommend any LR product reliability wise than the Discovery 3/LR3
An LR3 under 100k miles (rare) will serve you well. They can go up to 400k miles

Maintenance (just to give you an idea) is something like:
Air suspension: every 150k miles ish (compressor too)
The usual wheel bearings and such like on any big suv
The sunroof drains will leak eventually
Clean the MAF and other engine sensors every year or so?
The suspension bushings need replacing also every 100k miles ish
Other possibilities are trunk door latch, parking brake, air suspension height sensors, brake light switch, and coolant tank reading a false low
One more thing: get the V8. They are rock solid. The V6 is not, and doesn’t provide any advantages. This is the least can of worms rover to date, and I would highly recommend it. If you take care of the air suspension, and keep sunroof drain water out of your fuse boxes and wires in the floor, everything else will play nice
Yes, the high seats and magic carpet ride are worth it. I can’t imagine owning anything else (except a new defender someday or maybe an LR4)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I love my 2013 LR4's on and off-road capabilities, comfort, speed, and internal storage capacity. But I bought it because I did a TON of research, got a lower mileage single-owner vehicle with thorough service records, and then immediately dropped $6K into it for pre-emptive maintenance and have learned from the other forum member here and elsewhere to treat major components as service parts and just replace them on a schedule to head off very expensive catastrophic failures. My annual service costs are quite high. I love it but it all comes at a cost. I would not put myself through this just for a comfy seating position. Like the other members said, there are likely other cheaper, easier to maintain, more reliable options out there that do not require you to lay awake at night wondering what to replace next before it breaks. I wouldn't trade mine for the world but I use it in serious off-road, off-grid, backcountry / overland trips and it's been an incredible vehicle that is comfy for 1000 miles of highway and then also comfy for 500 miles of rutted roads and mountain trails. Sounds like you have entirely different requirements.

·
Dwave
2 Posts
An LR3 under 100k miles (rare) will serve you well. They can go up to 400k miles

Other possibilities are trunk door latch, parking brake, air suspension height sensors, brake light switch, and coolant tank reading a false low
One more thing: get the V8. They are rock solid. The V6 is not, and doesn’t provide any advantages. This is the least can of worms rover to date, and I would highly recommend it. If you take care of the air suspension, and keep sunroof drain water out of your fuse boxes and wires in the floor, everything else will play nice
Yes, the high seats and magic carpet ride are worth it. I can’t imagine owning anything else (except a new defender someday or maybe an LR4)
I own a 2005 LR3 with 212,000 miles that I purchased in Jan 2009 with 67,000 miles on it, I have done all of the above repairs along with rebuilding the transmission at 185,000 miles ($3800), with that being said I have probably spent twelve thousand dollars on maintenance since 2009, averaging about 1k a year, which statistically makes it cheaper than owning .some lower end domestic vehicles. My indy mechanic has stated that they are seeing them with 300,000 miles on them and still running strong. The takeaway is that some years you might just pay for the basic services other years you might get dinged for $1,500 dollars.

·
Registered
4 Posts

As someone who has owned 8 Range Rovers and a couple of Series vehicles, I have to agree that the history of Land Rover is not encouraging. However,a lot of the criticism is from people who have never owned or even driven one. LR is no worse than any other brand if looked after properly but in fairness, the Japs have a better overall record. t That latest message is spot on - it is all about the maintenance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Simple answer: If you are going to do repairs and maintenance yourself, it's a great vehicle to learn about and to play with. I've had RR's for 10 years now and only one has been to a shop one time (a dealer), and they screwed that up. I've done it all myself since that time. If you're not rich and not willing to do it yourself, forget it. Not only are maintenance and repairs expensive, it's hard to find anyone, including dealers, that you can trust. The story about the dealer is on my old P38. I took it in to be inspected when I first bought it and the dealer said the EAS Valve Block was leaking and needed replaced at $3500. I took it home, found the leak, replaced an O-ring that cost me 10 cents, and it never leaked again. That's what they do.

·
Premium Member
2004 Discovery II
1 Posts
I am not yet an owner. My primary attraction to the Land Rover is the driver seating, which is ideal for my sciatica. But I am scared based on the maintenance stories I have heard. Are there issues with all these cars, or are the problems isolated, but costly?

Would love to hear from people who have had a few expensive repairs? Or do you buy these cars understanding that you'll need to spend a couple thousand a year on repairs?
Just wondering?

Steve
I havea2004
Simple answer: If you are going to do repairs and maintenance yourself, it's a great vehicle to learn about and to play with. I've had RR's for 10 years now and only one has been to a shop one time (a dealer), and they screwed that up. I've done it all myself since that time. If you're not rich and not willing to do it yourself, forget it. Not only are maintenance and repairs expensive, but it's also hard to find anyone, including dealers, that you can trust.
As long as you keep upon with the recommended maintenance servicing will not cost you a fortune. I have a 2004 Discovery II with over 130,000 maintenance that I had rebuilt by a mechanic who was trained by Land Rover in England, certified by them & who returns yearly to the company's HQ for continuing education which is something that no dealership mechanic does. The servicing did cost me a fortune as the previous owner did not properly maintain it. I will NEVER sell my Discovery to anyone regardless of the given offer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am scared based on the maintanence stories I have heard. Are there issues with all these cars, or are the problems isolated, but costly?
Overwhelmingly the folks who object to the maintenance requirements of their LR are ones who are paying shops to do the work.

The litmus test for ownership of an out-of-warranty Disco is that you should be able to say an easy yes to ALL of the following:
  • I feel comfortable and equipped to do my own maintenance on fluids, filters, brakes, driveline, and suspension.
  • I am curious to learn how to debug electrical and sensor gremlins with patience and youtube videos.
  • This is not my primary vehicle, or if it is, I am OK with it being out of service for 2-3 day stretches periodically.
  • I do not need a vehicle to commute long distances in.
  • Fuel economy is not a top concern for the ways in which I plan to use my vehicle.
  • Capability (off-road, towing, etc.) is more important to me than total cost of ownership.
  • I want a disco, specifically, and am not just looking for any old comfortable SUV.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts