Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so for about three weeks my 01 disco 2 has been going in to limp home mode quite a bit long story short replace bad alternator replaced bad battery still having the problem check battery terminals positive negative check chassis ground check power to starter to make sure everything was tight. I usually only get about 5 miles away from my house when it does this and it's pretty much right on time every time very consistent. I can however clear the engine light and code with my ultra gauge scanner to Noahville it just comes back but after waiting about an hour it resets and I can go drive another 4 to 5 miles away and then it will do it again it's driving me nuts I don't know where else to look for the short. What I don't understand is why this problem is so consistent it seems to almost be heat related? Anyhow I have replaced the transmission fluid it was doing this before I changed it I also change the filter I've also check wiring harness connections to the transmission connections under the shifter connections on the ground terminal block in the engine compartment and like I mentioned grounds for the frame chassis... Any ideas out there any help would be greatly appreciated racking my brain over here..:complain:

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
P0758 is a bad solenoid signal from the transmission to the transmission ecu

The P0758 code is detected when the gear required by the ECM does not match the actual gear when vehicle is driven.
- Low transmission fluid level
- Dirty transmission fluid
- Faulty shift solenoid '2' valve
- Shift solenoid '2' valve harness or connectors
- Shift solenoid '2' valve circuit is open or shorted

I would check my fluid level again and make sure it is right, the solenoid 2 does not refer to the solenoid for the 2nd gear but for the pressure modulating system run by solenoid 2 so then its a matter of checking the wiring and the solenoid
cheers
Barri

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
Inside the transmission - they are generally very robust however and its more likely a wiring problem to or from the solenoid between it and the transmission ecm.

you can test it through the external plug but it works on pulse width modulation so its quite complex. its marked with a circle in the picture and is on top of the valve body - its not as difficult as it seems to get to just drop the pan and undo and lower the valve body.
cheers
Barri

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update first off just wanted to say thank you to gurunutkins after doing pin out and testing and more testing and more testing and pulling my remaining hair out of my head I finally figured out what it was a mistake on my part for listening to the wrong people. I was told to use dex/merc ATF and after weeks of testing on my free time off I decided just to change the transmission fluid yet again I double checked at Autozone in their system said to use Lucas ATF transmission fluid which I did not do didn't feel like I needed to pay for the name so I got the Castrol trans Max import multivehicle and it worked like a charm noticed after the first drain it was running better so I went ahead and flushed it or rather drained it two more times refilled with Castrol trans Max and now I have to say that is running beautifully and shifting beautifully I guess the viscosity is a little bit thicker. No regrets on changing the alternator putting a new Optima battery in changing the water pump all these things which would need to be done later anyway pay me now or pay me later but it would've been nice to save a little bit of that money instead of just throwing money at the problem lesson learned. I would also like to mention that I did have a very slow coolant leak on the heads which is not something I want to tackle right now I did use the white label Bluedevil head gasket repair this bottle was for the four and six cylinder engines I must say it has worked great very easy directions no pulling out the thermostat although I did pour The majority of it into the radiator via upper radiator hose Ran it for an hour at idle truck stayed at 194°F in the heat of Phoenix Arizona I might add worked beautifully I am a very happy LanRover owner. This isn't something I would normally do but given the timeframe and the money issues right now and also I don't drive this vehicle very much being I have two other vehicles and a work vehicle. Thanks again for all the help out their fellows I really do appreciate it it is nice to have a site like this where you can work and learn tips and tricks on how to work on your land rover instead of taking it to the dealership or a Indy shop...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.