Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So to start this is driving me crazy lol
04 DII 122 miles
limp mode on and off restart works to clear most times.
the past few days has not worked
dash shows all gears PRND21
I have changed the xyz switch with same results
This morning I noticed that I can take the key out without it being in park could this cause the problem
for example in R or D the key will cycle all the way back to stop and pull out I know this shouldn't happen as it doesn't with my other discos
after doing this the limp mode has cleared and all is well for 5 starts now but I know it will come back.
Please any suggestions, insight or help with this annoying problem would be greatly appreciated and helpful
thank you
Michael

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Hi, for this symptom the first to be ruled out is battery voltage... i presume that when you say limp mode you mean flashing M+S warnings dont you? if yes check the battery clamps to be well tightened also measure the voltage on the battery before you start it first time and while the engine is running. Voltage should be above 12.5V in the morning and it should not drop below 10.5V while cranking...if these conditions are not met put a new battery, also it should be around 14V with engine running if the alternator is OK... it would be good to read the stored fault code in the transmission(EAT) ECU but for this one to have a reliable reading a dedicated LR tester is needed cos the EAT ECU is not 100% OBD2 compliant like the engine. I dont think that the key interlock to be related to the limp mode issue, it's complementary

·
Registered
303 Posts
There are 16 different faults that can trigger limp home mode. You really need to get the codes read to determine what the problem is.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all the replies. I changed the alternator and have been limp free since Thursday. I did get the codes read and i can't remember now but it was the under 9V code and battery was new so went the route of changing the alternator

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.