Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
JC, my alt has been making the same ticking noise for over a year now. I bought a new one to replace it but never got around to putting it in. I just carry it with me in my tool box. I had even bought a new water pump b/c I thought it was that at first. Basically, I carry around everything I need to redo a whole lot of stuff. But I have this philosophy...other than basic and needed maintenance, I'll fix it when it needs to be fixed. My truck runs really good right now so I'm afraid to even touch it!

As far as your tach goes...did it throw any codes?

·
Registered
229 Posts
01001010 said:
My alternator is making a ticking sound...easy fix or replacement???

Also, my Tach got jumpy on me for a few miles, then came back to normal on idle...whats up with that?
That is what mine did prior to failure , the best fix is to replace it.

There is an on going debate over OEM vs aftermarket.
My experience i replaced OEM twice then went with heavy duty aftermarket
and has been fine ever since.

**** i think i'm getting carpal tunnellllll

·
MG
771 Posts
You can definitely have it fixed (I have several times), but I would recommend that you replace it with a HD aftermarket one and keep the rebuilt one as a field spare.

I went for the Mean Green HD alt (though I haven't dropped it in, yet - as soon as I have something to say, I'll let you know).
The tach flipping out is one of the signals that your alt is bad. It'll be intermittent for a while, but eventually stay at zero - that's when you know that the alt is about to stop producing electricity. Make sure to keep an eye on your battery load - you don't want to get caught with no alt and an old or low-charge batt.

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.