Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Banned
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of diagnosing a clunking noise coming from the front of my 99 D2. It happens upon decel around 20mph or normal driving in the speed range of 20-40mph. Heres my question:

Obviously, if I remove the front driveshaft, the vehicle will not move, so....is there a way to lock the diff. so only the rear is driving the vehicle? I think the noise is the driveshaft, but not sure. Also, it would be nice to be able to drive this thing in the event that I rebuild the shaft.

· Registered
1,506 Posts
Chris, early DIIs did not have the CDL linkage (your tansfer case is CDL enabled but it didn't come with the linkage). Does you shifter say Hi-N-Lo? You can fit a CDL kit. We carry the Ashcroft kit, you can also get a solenoid activated kit or one of the real cheap ones that require you to get out of the vehicle and engage the CDL.

Your noise is probably from the Transfer Case side and not the Driveshaft. The DIIs have a double cardon non-serviceable driveshaft. How many miles on your DII?

· Banned
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John C said:
Chris, early DIIs did not have the CDL linkage (your tansfer case is CDL enabled but it didn't come with the linkage). Does you shifter say Hi-N-Lo?
Yes, it does. Here is a pic.

John C said:
You can fit a CDL kit. We carry the Ashcroft kit, you can also get a solenoid activated kit or one of the real cheap ones that require you to get out of the vehicle and engage the CDL.
But.....will this allow me to do what I wanted to do as far as disengauging power to the front shaft, but still have use of the rear?

John C said:
Your noise is probably from the Transfer Case side and not the Driveshaft. The DIIs have a double cardon non-serviceable driveshaft. How many miles on your DII?
99,000 miles. So you think the noise is from the TC? What could it be?

· Registered
1,506 Posts
Nope, you cannot lock the diff. Your knob should look like this

· Banned
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So again, if I remove the front shaft, there is no way period to drive the rig?

· Registered
1,506 Posts
Chris Hyde said:
So again, if I remove the front shaft, there is no way period to drive the rig?
Correct

· Registered
1,506 Posts
He could but can you imagine how hard it would be.... the CDL was never engaged and it locks better when the vehicle is moving 5-8 mph... I can just see Chris trying to lock it while the truck is moving.

I really doubt that removing the Driveshaft will help, the clunk is probably coming from the TC (output bearing maybe).

I recently removed the rear DS on my Disco and the clunking noise gets worse with only the fron DS installed. It's a typical LR problem.

· Registered
1,506 Posts
Good point .... didn't think about that!

· Banned
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hank said:
Center kit in the drive shaft. :dunno:
Hmmm. Elaborate further please! :)

· Banned
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SCSL said:
Can't he manually lock the diff on that model year by reaching up under to the tcase & turning that bolt?
Would this lock the rear only so I could disconnect the front? (perhaps if I could get it to lock from underneath?)

· Registered
1,506 Posts
Chris Hyde said:
Hmmm. Elaborate further please! :)
Check out this link (thanks Hank!).

Yes, if you can get it to lock you will be able to drive it with one driveshaft.

· Banned
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
John C said:

Yes, if you can get it to lock you will be able to drive it with one driveshaft.
Any recommendations on a good source for the parts to rebuild it?

· Banned
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
John C said:

Also, can you tell me where this CDL bolt/lock is located so I can have a go at it this weekend? Thanks alot for all the help...

· Registered
1,506 Posts
Check out this thread, it'll give you some more info

· Banned
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

· Registered
1,506 Posts
Chris, here's some more info:

"LT230 Transfer Case Wear
LT230 transfer cases: early units suffered wear on the gearbox output-shaft and transfer-case input-gear. The symptoms are clunks, i.e. backlash, in the transmission especially at low speed in low gears. The fix was to fit a splash ring (bulletin H415) to the shaft which improved lubrication of the splines. Transfer cases with this modification should have a prominent paint mark on their rear cover plate. (At least one Land Rover club member effected an alternative cure in the shape of a small piece of sheet metal arranged to feed extra oil onto the same location.) The matter is discussed in Land Rover bulletin "37/20/96" covering Discovery LJ 178205, Discovery LJ 506525 and Defender LD 976480 and later, Should the shaft and gear fail, the bill for a replacement and for reconditioning the transfer case may be 1000; make sure the later shaft and gear are used. From the introduction of suffix F, transfer box numbers 28D 460996 F Discovery, and 22D 461124 F Defender, the LT230 transfer boxes have had longer splines and cross-drilled oil feed holes thus solving the problem."

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.