Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i'm new to the site.

I'm 18 and i've been rebuilding my 2a for a couple of years.
Before i get it on the road i want to put some locks on the doors.
Has anyone done this?

And also has anyone fitted a radio/speakers if so where?How?

Cheers Tom

· Registered
317 Posts
tbenn1,
Hmm, depending on what year of 2a you have, locks could be as easy as switching out the latch mechanism. If you have a hole in the door for the key, then you're fine, otherwise you'll have to buy new latches, strikers and cut a hole in the door panel for the keyhole...most places now sell the antiburst type...

Radio? :lol: Not like you'll be able to hear it...a neighbor of mine has an earlier 2a with the independent wiper motors, he fabbed up a box to go to the left of the steering where, where the later 2a single wiper motor went...if you have a hardtop, speakers could go up there...As far as juice, I'd guess you could grab the power from the inspection port sockets...You could also put the radio up above the windscreen...or in the seat cubby if you have one of those Tuffy dealies...lot's of options...

Bogatyr

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its 1966. at the moment its got no roof on but i've got a hardtop and truck cab for it. I'd like to be able to have the roof of in the summer.

This will be my second car when i have a bit more money as i've just wrote of my other car. So i may beable to get away without locks.

Cheers

· Registered
43 Posts
I've given up on the prospect of actually locking my IIa. I work in PG county (outside of Washington, DC). If PG county was a state, it would rank 18th in the nation for sheer numbers of auto theft!!!

I figure you could open the Land Rover locks with a screwdriver. I've got a tuffy box; anything valuable goes in there.

Fortunately, most people couldn't figure out how to start the LR (even with the keys -- I had to help the last mechanic who worked on it!). If they did, my cranky old transmission and clutch would slow 'em down. If I'm really worried about it, I put the club on (just slows 'em down) and I put the transfer case into neutral (I've got a R380 + LT230 behind my 4.0!). I figure that would confuse most would-be-theives (confuses me sometimes!).

I'll probably wire up a switch to my electric fuel pump and mount that inside the tuffy box for a little more piece of mind.

I imagine that most casual thieves (what we've got) would just get fed up and move on to greener pastures.

Good luck keeping it safe!

-Chris-

· Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
cestes said:
I imagine that most casual thieves (what we've got) would just get fed up and move on to greener pastures.

Good luck keeping it safe!

-Chris-
The basic idea is to make it more difficult to steal than the guy parked next to you!

I have llocs on my door but as I either dont have a roof on, or if I Have my roof on to is a Canvas top in any case it makes no sence in trying to lock it.

Some measures like electric fuel pumps ect is good. I seen a guy install a Switch on his Ignition coil, so the enjin turns but does not start.

a stong box for valubles is also a good idea. It can be bolted to the back without many hassels.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.