Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2005 LR3 SE V6 w/Coils & 2008 LR3 SE V8 on 33’s
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay folks, I have battled a condition inherited from previous owner and I'm guessing one of the mechanics that maintained this 2008 LR3 4.4v8.

The Downstream Left O2 Sensor is either not mounted in it's normal position along the exhaust system or the Cat has been replaced with a slightly different cat than originally fitted. (Possibly what some sites call "Rest of World" Spec) The wire on the o2 sensor had been extended significantly when I took ownership 2 years ago. The sensor failed and I replaced all four with new ones form a LR supplier I trust. The new wire was way too short for this left rear sensor, and I extended it and wrapped it in a heat shield fabric. The new Denso sensor failed within a year in that location only. I replaced it and again extended the wires. Both new Denso sensor bodies were slightly longer and it was a VERY tight fit against the metal heat shield along the underside of the cabin floor. I bent the shield to give as much room as possible and added protection around the wire as it enters the sensor. Well I suppose with all the off road trails I do, the wires were crimped or pulled or whatever and that's the point of failure. So I could have the local muffler shop weld a new bung around on the side further from the heat shield, but there is really not much room there. So I ordered a few brass fittings to make a 90 degree bend in the mounting of the sensor, and extend it out a little towards the front. I ordered a new Denso 234-4265 as per specification from multiple places online, and the length of wire is perfect. The plug however is not the correct shape.

So I wonder if the sensors are installed in the wrong spot, upstream/Downstream... Currently the shorter cable one is on the front, more square connector, and the longer cable (but not long enough) is the more round connector and on the downstream position. Wouldn't I be getting all kinds of crazy codes if they were flipped? The code I get currently is: Bank 2 Sensor 2 Heated Control Circuit. I get horrible mileage but on 33" tires and extra weight will do that. Good consistent performance.

I've attached the two Denso part details form the Deso site... Green notes what I need and Red is what I do not.

I also see some people sell O2 Sensor Extension cables, but I have not seen one with the correct plug on the ends.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone with any experience with any of this.

Thanks!

Light Product Font Line Parallel

Font Line Screenshot Trigger Parallel

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently had to replace my downstream sensors (cats were stolen) and also had trouble getting the correct part for the downstream left on my 08 LR3. The 4265 also did not fit mine. The 234-4264 Denso was the correct part, at least for me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts