Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the longest trip that you have taken on your Disco?

My family like to take road trips everywhere but we always rent a car, minivan or SUV, depending distance and what type of trip. When I bought the truck that was the main purpose; however, I have always been concern of a breakdown in the middle of nowhere with two young kids in the back seat. The longest trip has been 4 hours each way, I am dying to take the truck on a long distance trip but I really don’t want to experience a breakdown with my kids. My ’01 SE7 has been mechanically good, except for the common rattles and no oil leaks. It has 43K on the odometer and before I go for the Thanksgiving holiday I plan to get the 45K service.

By the way, I plan to go from NYC to the Midwest; eight hours away and about 550 miles each way.

What do you think? What else should I check before the trip?

Figman
‘01 SE7 SLS & ACE

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
My family uses our 97 RR on road trips often.. In the last year it has been to Wyoming, Oregon,Washington,Missouri,Illinois,Nebraska,Kansas, and many many trips here in the mountains of Colorado!!!!! All while pulling a 30' camper.... You will be fine... The longest road trip I have done in my RRC is Illinois... I am in Colorado Springs.. It did great, hauled a car back for my buddy... I personally drive all over Colorado mountais pulling my pop-up camper..You will be fine :D

·
4,576 Posts
in June of 2006 I'll be embarking on a Cross Coutry Road Trip...from Miami to Prosser Washington is 3126 miles. Then on the Way back east and south I still havent counted. There will be MANY off road miles added to the total...I think i might have to overhaul my engine after that trip..lol

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
01001010 said:
in June of 2006 I'll be embarking on a Cross Coutry Road Trip...from Miami to Prosser Washington is 3126 miles. Then on the Way back east and south I still havent counted. There will be MANY off road miles added to the total...I think i might have to overhaul my engine after that trip..lol
Going to make a detour through Colorado?

·
4,576 Posts
Funrover said:
Going to make a detour through Colorado?
Actually, I was planning on staying the longest IN Colorado...maybe a 3 or 4 Day camp out or something...Im meetin up with Steven (SCSL), his friend Matt, Llersa...I guess i can now add ya to the round up...Ill keep ya posted on the status of the trip and all...I'll have a CB radio by then, and if you guys have em as well Ill give ya the freq. and all so we can keep constant communication while im near. Im really thinkin that CO is going to be the highlight of my trip, because I thinkin about moving out of Miami for a while and CO is at the top of the list for probable locations.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Let me know... I'll hook you up!!! You have to cliff dive once in the Colorado River while you are here....nothing big, it's only about a 40' cliff... It's a popular trip... Plus wheeling is everywhere...see ya!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi All:

I appreciate your comments; this gives me piece of mind and confidence that my Disco will take me to my destination and bring me back home. I love my truck to death but had a lots of small problems mostly around the city. Couple times tested the truck on longer trips to the mountains with mountain bike and whitewater rafting gear, a full load and the truck performmed like nothing.

Again thanks for your comments.

Figman

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
i havent actually taken my disco for a long road trip. we use the honda for that due to the amazing gas mileage it gets. i think the most i drove my disco was 200 miles. :dunno:

01001010 said:
Actually, I was planning on staying the longest IN Colorado...maybe a 3 or 4 Day camp out or something...Im meetin up with Steven (SCSL), his friend Matt, Llersa...I guess i can now add ya to the round up...Ill keep ya posted on the status of the trip and all...I'll have a CB radio by then, and if you guys have em as well Ill give ya the freq. and all so we can keep constant communication while im near. Im really thinkin that CO is going to be the highlight of my trip, because I thinkin about moving out of Miami for a while and CO is at the top of the list for probable locations.
SWEET! Keep us posted! oh yeah, we can also go to the bar next to stevens house and get some of that freakin awsome fishermans pie WITH POTATOS! RIGHT AARON?!?! LOL

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I ran my 2000 & my 2003 Disco 's all over the friggen place and never had an issue, except when my 2003 was brand new (ignition wire split)
My longest trip was 16 hours to Mo. from NJ
Longest trip so far with my new Rover was 9 hours, NJ to OBX in NC

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Longest trip so far was 5 hours each way to Granite Slab, Rubicon. We are trying to plan a summer trip that will take us though Utah, Colorado, etc.

Longest single road trip ive taken was from here to aspen, CO. Though it was in a comfortable minivan ;)

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
llesra said:
SWEET! Keep us posted! oh yeah, we can also go to the bar next to stevens house and get some of that freakin awsome fishermans pie WITH POTATOS! RIGHT AARON?!?! LOL

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
We'll see what happenes the next time...LOL

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Disco1 said:
How's about 7000 mile round trip to and around Alaska, no problems, just feed the old girl with gas, and check the fluids every day. 189k and counting :)

And the winner is.......

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Disco1 said:
How's about 7000 mile round trip to and around Alaska, no problems, just feed the old girl with gas, and check the fluids every day. 189k and counting :)
that definatly gets the endurance record unless someone comes up with something really crazy.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Searcaigh said:
Longest trip I have done in the Disco was a 3,000 Km round trip from Dubai to Salalah, half of which was off-road.

The Disco ran beautifully and had no problems.

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/discovery_1/2003/sal01.html

wow searcaigh, those pictures are amazing. Love the ones from day 4! Im sure that was an unforgettable trip. :buttrock:

·
Registered
152 Posts
2 years running DII from San Jose , Ca to Moab 1200 miles (2 days) each way with about 1 week of camping and 400 miles of off road at Moab. Used a ton of gas but less than going to Hawaii and worth every penny. If you can find the time to drag you LR to Moab do it. She ran great the whole way, I change all the fluids before and after though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.