Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a warn XD9000 winch. I found a web place called wichdepot.com. They have one for sale for $698.99 with free shipping. I have been writing the company and they will honor the free shipping to Hawaii. I am wondering is this a good deal? Do I need to have another battery on my truck? Are they hard to install? I have an ARB brush bar on my truck now. I do not want to go over board on a winch because I do not go off road much and most of the stuff I run into is sand.

· Registered
1,744 Posts
Can't help you with your specific question re the Warn XD9000, but I'm sure other more knowledgable members on winches will chime in. Yes you will need a second battery, as well as, some form of anchor to attach your winch line too, unless there are a lot of reasonable sized trees growing in the sand where you are likely to get bogged.

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
The XD9000 is as good as any of them out there (no better, no worse) We have one on our 110 and one on a Classic, both in ARBs. If your ARB IS a winch model, no you will have no problem, but the bumper needs to come off to put the winch in.
It is not essential you have a second battery, but if you have a long pull (under load) somone should be holding the throttle about 1500-2000 so that your alternator is keeping up with the drain. The winch will draw, at load, about 175-200 amps.
I second what Disco says re recovery anchor, or strap. If you anchor to a tree, make sure your wrap a good nylon strap around the tree, and not the winch cable. Cable alone, will score the tree and kill it.

· Registered
37 Posts
I have the XD9000 and an ARB on my Disco. I mounted the winch after mounting the bumper, by myself. TerryS is right, this isn't the preferable means of mounting your winch! I use a single yellowtop and haven't had any issues, though I haven't had to use my winch too many times. I also live in a coastal area without many good anchorpoints and have found the Pull-pal and a good shovel to be invaluable when stuck on trails in the marshy areas around here. Your sand will be similiar, though there are other options.
I've needed to rev the engine to keep enough juice flowing to the winch in some of the deeper mudholes.

Good luck. Shipping to Hawaii must be a pain...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.