Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing my first LR. Though I am still educating myself on the different models and features, I am looking for a 5 door wagon with sufficient seats for me and my brood (9 total).

I looked at a series 1 (RHD) over the weekend and relatively satisfied with what I saw based on what I have read and learned thus far. The main issue that I had was how tight the driver's area was for me. I'm 6' 6", 240#. While I'm not fat by any means, I did find the space to be a bit confining. Not to mention the fact that the amount of leg space was a bit concerning. Between the e-brake handle and the steering wheel, I was having a bit of trouble depressing/releasing the clutch properly. Not to mention my size 14 feet were giving me issues when I had to hit the brake and clutch at the same time. Lastly, the small windscreen area required that I lean forward quite a bit to look at stop lights and overhead signs.

Without making major modifications, how do taller guys get along with LRs?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm only 6'1" and have a S3 88", so even less cabin room than the 109" (although the S1 probably has less room). I have aftermarket seats that are taller (and more comfortable), so give me more leg room. If you put Defender seats in a S2/S2A/S3 109", you can get angled seat rail extensions which should lift the rails just above the bulkhead a bit allow for even more leg room, much like this guy has done in his Defender:

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I'm a 6'2" and 230# Series I Land Rover nut. I have nine of them in various states of restoration/neglect and just as many Series II, IIa's.

You will never find a utility Land Rover that is comfortable. I love my Rovers so I just contort myself into the cab and live with it. Removal of the door tops, roof and even folding the windscreen down makes a huge difference. Plus it's loads if fun to go topless! Well, maybe not in winter.

The first semi comfortable vehicle LR made was the original Range Rover but they are still tight for big guy's. I suppose the 2003+ L322 Range Rovers and 2005+ Lr3's are the first LR products that will comfortably accommodate human beings. But compared to a Series LR, they are boring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, this is a weak point with the Land Rovers.
I'm 6-0 myself and I feel the IIA is quite tight. Even my Frogeye has more room. I suppose one could do a bit of work and move the pedals forward with changes to the foot well. The steering box might get in the way though.
There's a guy in New England who lengthened a Frogeye for exactly this reason.

Link

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
There is a bulkhead removal bar available for Defenders that could probably be made to work. Would obviously ruin the originality though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts