Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

Welcome to my first post on LRO. :clap:

We have been considering a Rover purchase for a while now.
I have looked at both Series I and II vehicles.

Is there a faq for purchasing, or any guidelines on the forum?

I am looking at a 1997 with a standard transmission and cloth interior... a SD trim level vehicle.

I have been told the Series I vehicles are a little beefier in the drive train and I understand the size and styling differences.
This vehicle has 92,000 km (58,000 miles) and an extensive dealer service history.

Is a 5 speed Discovery really that rare? It's the only one I have ever seen , and it has one dealer installed sunroof.

Any advice would be appreciated!

////M

· Registered
150 Posts
////MPower said:

Is a 5 speed Discovery really that rare? It's the only one I have ever seen , and it has one dealer installed sunroof.

Any advice would be appreciated!

////M
I take it you're in America???

Manuals (sorry; 'Stick Shifts' :) ) are 'ten a penny' over here, some are automatics.
The predominant derivative over here for a D1, is the Tdi (diesel) manual.
Automatics were available with both the Tdi & V8i

Personally. I've got one of the last Tdi manuals, & won't buy a D2 when I sell this one, as I simply don't like the aesthetics of it

Good luck, you may probably get a couple more MPG with a manual, dependant on the use of A/C, etc....

Photos of mine looking strangely very blue :dunno:

Have a look at the 'My Discovery' albums on my 'WebShots', & let me know what you think

· Registered
321 Posts
i've got a 96 manual as well and yes they are not many here in north america and am assuming you're in canada with the KM. i'd be fairly hesitant to purchase a used manual just because i don't know how the other person drove it. gears could be shot, clutch gone etc. if you've taken it for a test drive and clutch and gears seems to be fine then go for it. keep in mind when doing any gearbox work it'll cost you $$$$ had a shaft break in my gear box and every place i took it too told me it needed to be replaced. shopped around and finally found a used one for ... ready.. a used gearbox... $3000 CDN was still cheaper than buying a new one off the dealer, getting one shipped up from the states.
with a 97 and only having 92,000 seems great but also could have been sitting around for a long time so the gaskets could have be dried out or craked...
I personally like the D1's aswell, the CDL is a BIG plus but the rotoflex is a minus but that can be changed fairly easily
Not trying to scare you but things you should look out for.
take care

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dent said:
i've got a 96 manual as well and yes they are not many here in north america and am assuming you're in canada with the KM. i'd be fairly hesitant to purchase a used manual just because i don't know how the other person drove it. gears could be shot, clutch gone etc.
with a 97 and only having 92,000 seems great but also could have been sitting around for a long time so the gaskets could have be dried out or craked...
The lady that drove it was an older adult and they have the cash for dealer maintenance. I drove it and it was great. It actually had no gear noise even, which is something I encountered in higher metreage automatics. It's been sitting around a bit, yes. Garage stored though and it doesn't look like there are any leaks.
And yes I am in southern Ontario. I have not seen another 5 speed advertised for sale in Canada either.

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
5 Speeds...not too rare I have seen quite a few, but more automatics by far. The previous owner sounds like she has kept up with all maintinence. That is a real plus.. No leaks!!! make sure it's still a land rover..LOL As long as the proper maint has been done you should be okay!!! If you can look at the recordes of the car to see what has been done to it.. I'd check the normal spots.... Belts, fluids, tires, see how it drives, check all accesories, MAKE SURE IT WORKS IN 4-LOW, etc....If it seems like a well taken care of vehicle and has the records to prove it I'd say get it

· Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
look at the rotors, all lines including brake lines and fuel lines for leaks and general rust. IF they are rusted up its an automatic money sucker.

Seen too many with a bad caliper up front and broken lines everywhere else.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I might spend a little more for the year because it has been well kept and it is a nice truck.
I like the simplicity of the SD Series I.

I know everything works including the air conditioning. Now, a locking centre diff.... what is that all about?

· MG
714 Posts
Forward of your gear lever is a smaller one. That little one is your Center Differential Lock (CDL). These Discos are fulltime 4-wheel drive.

There are some other posts on the matter, but here's the skinny:
  • when it is back, it's in high gear (as in regular vehicle speeds)
  • when it's forward, it's in low gear (as in crawling, slow towing, downhill braking with engine - most off road applications)
  • Center (both left and right) is neutral
  • when it's right, the transfer case (tc) allows the front propeller (prop) shaft (the "link" in the drive train that powers the front wheels) and the rear prop shaft to spin at different rates
  • when it's left, the tc locks the front and rear prop shafts, essentially splitting the power from your engine half/half front/rear. Off road, this is a key feature. On road, you'll wear your tires and drive train components at an accelerated rate.
Thus, on road, you'll want the CDL back and right.

Before you buy, and thence once a week or so, cycle it through all six positions to make sure it doesn't freeze up on you when you do need it.

Keep the Q's coming, that's how it works...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.