Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 Disco 2 which has developed an electrical gremlin. The 3 normal warning lights illuminate (HDC, ABS, TC) as well as the SRS light, at the same time the direction indicators do not work as well as the central locking does not lock on pulling away and all the electrical windows do not work. This all changes after driving for approximately 15Kms when the direction indicators start working only once I apply the foot brake to slow down and then stop working once the brake is released. The windows start working and the central locking also starts working at some stage as well.

When pulling away there is a loud static sound emitting from the radio which also disappears after sometime. I have noticed that at times the three warning lights (HDC, ABS, TC) come on as I accelerate from a stop and come back on again either as I decelerate or brake and this then stays like this for some time.

I have put the computer onto the vehicle and it is returning no fault codes at all, so am really at a loss for what it could be. I would appreciate any help possible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for the advice. I will go and give it a look as now that you have mentioned the pedal area I have noticed that the problem comes and goes as I apply the brakes so could very well be a loose ground in that area then. Will let you know what I find.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Also , possible fuse block failure from water and or heat/age.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The vehicle's problems have continued in the way that when trying to start the other morning all that happened is I had the sound of a relay rattling as the battery was flat. Then the battery was completely dead. On investigation as I touched the Negative terminal on the battery all the lights on the dash illuminated and then found that the whole terminal in the battery was loose. We removed the battery and saw that the sides were bulging and then started the vehicle by means of another battery and then checked the charging rate of the alternator, which was 13.8 Volts at idle and as the engine was revved it climbed to 17.2 Volts. We are now in the process of replacing the damaged battery as well as replacing the voltage regulator and hope that this sorts the problem out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I have received the vehicle back from the workshop and they have replaced the alternator and the battery and reset the computer as well as they got an Auto Electrician to go through all the earth points just to make sure that they are all still making good contact. It is now going very well and have not seen a warning light since so hopefully the gremlin has been sorted out once and for all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.