Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all i am looking for info on how to change my 95 disco v8i to a carb unit and any information on how to do this. it has the 3.9 engine and i want to get rid of the electronics and goto edlebrook carb unit, just need to know what i have to do on this engine. any help would be great on this. :drive: :beer:

Thank you

George

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Get your hands on the books first.....

The Rover V8 Engine and the other book Tuning the Rover V8 by David Hardcastle are invaluable. They are available most everywhere including amazon and barnes and noble.

You will need both because the first one has a large chart of parts like camshafts and parts vendors. When the author finished and published his first book, he did not intend it to be the definitive volume on Rover V8 but it did. Made the second to complete the first.

Excellent books to complment the workshop manuals.

By the way, you know you will be looking at changing the pistons for the different compression ratio and the camshafts? You might want to investigate turbocharging and/or supercharging. The block is renown for bolt-on and go but only with the ECU. Sorry.

Just my opinion.

Good luck.

Adam in NYC :drive: 96 D1

·
Registered
161 Posts
Can I ask why you are interested in the conversion? I have always understood efi to be superior for MPG, as well as for serious incline and decline engine performance. Not sure what a carb setup would get for you.

Adam, I have to disagree with your opinion that pistons will need to be changed out. The compression of a cylinder is a function of the cubic centimeters of combustion chamber, as well as turbo or supercharged applications, not efi vs. carb. By the way, we are all looking forward to another story from the Big Apple.

Kieran

·
Registered
490 Posts
WOW... change to Carbs??? You must be really sick of the Lucusitis!

I feel your pain. I simply hate the ECU and two cats, four O2 Sensors, Idle air control valve, Throttle sensor, Mass Airflow Meters, coil pack, etc.

I thought of changing over... after I swapped out the engine for something else like a 350. A poorly carbed 350 still get better mpg and more power than my current 4.0. There is always MSD ignition systems!

The other fella is right about going off road and battling inclines and declines, the EFI is much more friendly.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lucas

texasrover said:
WOW... change to Carbs??? You must be really sick of the Lucusitis!

I feel your pain. I simply hate the ECU and two cats, four O2 Sensors, Idle air control valve, Throttle sensor, Mass Airflow Meters, coil pack, etc.

I thought of changing over... after I swapped out the engine for something else like a 350. A poorly carbed 350 still get better mpg and more power than my current 4.0. There is always MSD ignition systems!

The other fella is right about going off road and battling inclines and declines, the EFI is much more friendly.
v Yes i am sick of the lucas stuff it allways breaks down all the time and if i goto carbs and a standard electronics i will not have the lucas failing problems all the time but if lucas would allllllllow other great companies to make high quality aftermartket parts for there vehicles then maybe i would not be saying this. you allways have to wait and order your parts all the time and sometimes when you get them they are doa and then you have to wait longer and the story goes on but the rover itself is a great machine of enginering. they should not have all those darn elctric sensors on there vehicles and build them the way they use to build them. so i do want to change to carbs. and get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator that you can add more pressure for serious off roading. and they are so much easier to fix if you know what i mean hehheh.

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
how to

krigtt198 said:
Hi all i am looking for info on how to change my 95 disco v8i to a carb unit and any information on how to do this. it has the 3.9 engine and i want to get rid of the electronics and goto edlebrook carb unit, just need to know what i have to do on this engine. any help would be great on this. :drive: :beer:

Thank you

George
You need to get the carb and manifold (edelbrock/webber and offenhauser manifold to suit) remove the old efi assembly off the top of the engine and fit the new manifold,to eliminate the poxy ignition system I would go for a mallory unilite system which i have used myself with great performance improvements the only other thig to change is the fuel pump as the efi one is to powerfull and will need to be replaced with a non-efi pump I use facet myself hope this helps
ONz

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that is great

onslow said:
You need to get the carb and manifold (edelbrock/webber and offenhauser manifold to suit) remove the old efi assembly off the top of the engine and fit the new manifold,to eliminate the poxy ignition system I would go for a mallory unilite system which i have used myself with great performance improvements the only other thig to change is the fuel pump as the efi one is to powerfull and will need to be replaced with a non-efi pump I use facet myself hope this helps
ONz
now after i do that, what about the ecu?? do i need it? do i need to do any valve chngeing or any timing to the engine?. and thanks for the info.

george :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
krigtt198 said:
now after i do that, what about the ecu?? do i need it? do i need to do any valve chngeing or any timing to the engine?. and thanks for the info.

george :D
i forgot, do you know the exact one mallory unilite sytem i would need and the numbers on it so i get the right one and for the facet to? thank you so much. i am so tired of the efi system it allways fails and the mpg is not so godd anyways.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sven

sven said:
MPG will get worse with a carb. What exactly do you mean by always fails?
Hear is the problem with the efi system if you ask me ,i have owned three rovers allready and allways seemed to have problems with the efi system. first of all the parts are high in price and you have to order every part you need because Land rover does not allow other auto parts dealers to remanufacture there parts for better prices. with a carb system you can set your mpg good and the parts you can get anywhere at auto parts dealers local instead of haveing to have to track them down all the time. Some people say injection is better but i say not because i have built enough engines and i can honestly say that a good carb unit is so much better and more reliable and a hell of allot easier to fix then the efi system. you do not have to worry about trying to figure out what is wrong all the time by useing a computer. But inever had rebuilt a land rover engine yet so this is my first atempt heheh, i mostly build american engines but i did find allot of info on this engine and know where they got it from. The 3.9 engine was made by Buick and land rover bought the rights to use that engine and it came off a 1963 Buick skylark or skyhawk vehicel. With a carb unit you get more horse power and better fuel millage to. Sry about the long reason why i am doing this. And now after writeing all that i need a beer hehehe lmao :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Re: Going to carbs on the Rover

Adam in NYC USA said:
The Rover V8 Engine and the other book Tuning the Rover V8 by David Hardcastle are invaluable. They are available most everywhere including amazon and barnes and noble.

You will need both because the first one has a large chart of parts like camshafts and parts vendors. When the author finished and published his first book, he did not intend it to be the definitive volume on Rover V8 but it did. Made the second to complete the first.
Inside the books you will see the various manifolds, dual carb setups, and if you are rethinking about Fuel Injection, some other ideas of fuel injection.

I really like two photos of some people cutting two plenum and using them in racing (again EFI).

I understand where you are coming from. I had a 97 Mitsu Mirage with FI and it was a charm to work on. It was designed that you could work on it if you were in a wheelchair. Not exactly the Rover V8.

I was a carb man and then I picked up the Haynes book Fuel Injection Manual 1986 thru 1996. I had to brush up on the electrical section a little bit and got it into my head. Now I got a good idea about how hot-wire and vane intake sensors work and how the lambda oxygen sensors operate.

If you are having so much trouble with the electrics, before you rip out all the EFI, make sure all the electrical connects are solid and properly grounded.

I will bet you will find some corrosion (just about everywhere actually, I just sprayed a can of silicone spray getting ready for the remaints of Hurricane Katrina into the mechanical portions of the doors and the windows) . I bet you find the power sections going into the EFI are faulty fix them and your gremlins wil take off to your neighbor's car.

Adam in NYC

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
adam

Adam in NYC USA said:
Inside the books you will see the various manifolds, dual carb setups, and if you are rethinking about Fuel Injection, some other ideas of fuel injection.

I really like two photos of some people cutting two plenum and using them in racing (again EFI).

I understand where you are coming from. I had a 97 Mitsu Mirage with FI and it was a charm to work on. It was designed that you could work on it if you were in a wheelchair. Not exactly the Rover V8.

I was a carb man and then I picked up the Haynes book Fuel Injection Manual 1986 thru 1996. I had to brush up on the electrical section a little bit and got it into my head. Now I got a good idea about how hot-wire and vane intake sensors work and how the lambda oxygen sensors operate.

If you are having so much trouble with the electrics, before you rip out all the EFI, make sure all the electrical connects are solid and properly grounded.

I will bet you will find some corrosion (just about everywhere actually, I just sprayed a can of silicone spray getting ready for the remaints of Hurricane Katrina into the mechanical portions of the doors and the windows) . I bet you find the power sections going into the EFI are faulty fix them and your gremlins wil take off to your neighbor's car.

Adam in NYC
Ok Adam i will give that a shot before i decide to do that becausei have tried everything else hehe. i will let you know if it works and if does not well i am gonna get rid of the gremlins forever lmao.
thanks for the info.

George :beer: :buttrock:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.