Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a 2001/2002 Land Rover Discovery II, preferably an SE. I am familiar with the older style land rovers as I own a 1968 series IIa (bugeye). I am about to have new born in March and I will not get caught up in one of those yuppie miny vans. I live in Ottawa, Canada where the winters can get fierce and beleive that the Discovery is the best vehicle for me and family, safety wise along with durability. What I would like to know is if there is anything to be cautious about when buying a used Dicovery II. Is there a better year than the other? What changes to look out for? What options are essential or not?

What ever help anyone can provide me with would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

·
Registered
321 Posts
one think to keep in mind is that the 01-02 do not have a central diff lock. It uses the new electronic thing for transfering power between the wheels. odd thing is i heard that the transfer case still has the place to put the lever or something like that.
Also has the air shocks too which i heard heads south. Personally, living in canada as well, i dont' like rubber things all that much do to cracks and the salt getting to them etc. Once it does go i suggest replacing the thing with regular shocks and springs.
Other than that i suspect it'll be like owning any other land rover.. fluid leaks everywhere.
good luck
take care
sam

·
Registered
62 Posts
the disco II can be bought without air susp. and in my opinion is a great purchase 4 canada I would look 4 lower mileage 2001 and have it checked 4 recalls witch would be fixd free of charge there were a couple in 01

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Go for an early 01, one with the CDL still in the t/case, you will have a much better vehicle of the road f you convert back to CDL.
Mike J.

·
Registered
523 Posts
5donkey:
I posted some good rare editions/colors disco ll's ads awhile ago.Look for early ('99-'01) series ll.
Carlos :wave:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Good luck! They are simply awesome if you're willing to do the maintenance. Go for coil springs over air, mine work fine but i've had some scary moments and simpler is better. Check the frame for rust as well, surface stuff is normal but living in Canada...who knows. Good luck and may your hunting be rewarding.

·
Computer Nerd
802 Posts
Good luck! They are simply awesome if you're willing to do the maintenance. Go for coil springs over air, mine work fine but i've had some scary moments and simpler is better. Check the frame for rust as well, surface stuff is normal but living in Canada...who knows. Good luck and may your hunting be rewarding.
I hope after 7 or 8 years, he figured it out. :)

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
one think to keep in mind is that the 01-02 do not have a central diff lock. It uses the new electronic thing for transfering power between the wheels. odd thing is i heard that the transfer case still has the place to put the lever or something like that.
Also has the air shocks too which i heard heads south. Personally, living in canada as well, i dont' like rubber things all that much do to cracks and the salt getting to them etc. Once it does go i suggest replacing the thing with regular shocks and springs.
Other than that i suspect it'll be like owning any other land rover.. fluid leaks everywhere.
good luck
take care
sam
First of all this is wrong, only about that last months production of 01's did not have a CDL, 92's and 03's didn't have it and 04's goy iy back.
Second, Rovers don't have air shocks, some had SLS which is air bags instead of coil springs and they were a good system but you did at some point have to replace the bags, usually around 60,000 miles cause they would start to leak, but no big deal.

·
Computer Nerd
802 Posts
First of all this is wrong, only about that last months production of 01's did not have a CDL, 92's and 03's didn't have it and 04's goy iy back.
Second, Rovers don't have air shocks, some had SLS which is air bags instead of coil springs and they were a good system but you did at some point have to replace the bags, usually around 60,000 miles cause they would start to leak, but no big deal.

You already told him some of that, back in 2004. ;)

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
I know, that is why I deleted it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts