Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am currently getting an itch to own another 4x4 and am looking to get my first Land Rover. Looking for a manual Discovery ideally diesel but they all seem to be gas here in Western Canada.

I have had quite a few vehicles (Jeeps, Dakotas, Golf, GMC Sonoma). Currently have two vehicles a long term project 1994 R32 GTR and a 98 WRX STI as my winter beater/daily.

Looking to explore a few of the ghost towns and mountains in my area and use it for a bit of camping. Still researching on some common problems (rust is a big one where I am!).

That's about it for now, look forward to reading up on all the info in the forum!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
There's somewhat of a difference between a D and a D2. If you found a manual diesel available, I'd expect you'd pay a serious premium for it.

If you LOVE the Rover and HAVE TO have one, they're cool and unique. They're also alot more work and have horrible parts availability than just about all of your other options.

You mention rust- If you get too much salt on your fries, your Rover frame will rust while you watch. I recently bought a very clean '03 that was near perfect except for holes throughout the frame. The windshield frames rot as well, so be careful to check that out. When they do, the water leaks directly into the area where the ECU/BCU/Etc are all located.

For serious wheeling, it's going to cost you a premium over something like a Jeep or F150 to do the mods you'll want to do to have something that will be still driving at the end of the day. If you're just trail running and stay below a 33" tire, you should be OK provided everything is and continues to be in top shape.

If you go with the Rover, look for a model with CDL, which is a locking center differential. The D1 has it. The early D2 had the case, but no shifter, which can easily be added. '03 doesn't have the case but can be added. '04 has all of it.

I don't want to dissuade you from the Rover. But you should know going in it's going to be a tougher and more expensive road. I have zero interest in Jeeps, partially because of what they are, but also because everyone has one.

Welcome to the forum

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.