Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
I’d almost buy one that is cosmetically perfect but has a blown head gasket(s). Have that motor rebuilt spend the $5000-$6000 on that. Buy the truck for $1000

·
Super Moderator
2,186 Posts
@Ranger Rick
That’s exactly how I got my current 2002
Clean Southern California truck that overheated. Owner walked away from it at a Local Land Rover dealership.
$900
I bought it from the Service Manager. Replaced the failed water pump and got 6 months before it started to blow coolant.
Did a complete rebuild with sleeved Darton liners and have been driving it every day/everywhere since (4 years now)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
and your truck with a rebuilt motor is going to be more reliable than anything you can buy used
I agree 100%. Thanks. My ex (a mechanic) did that years ago with a Lexus SUV that a customer didn’t want. It was worth the $5K we put in.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you have a d1 buy another d1 if it’s a d2 buy another d2. If you can hang onto the one that’s been sitting it’s never a bad thing to have parts. My 03 d2 is running around with the power steering pump and fan off a 2000 I owned back in 2015, the ps downstream O2, air filter box and MAF, gas cap, sai plumbing off my current 2000 that’s getting the motor rebuilt. Having a parts car can not be over estimated if you have the space

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
If you have a d1 buy another d1 if it’s a d2 buy another d2. If you can hang onto the one that’s been sitting it’s never a bad thing to have parts. My 03 d2 is running around with the power steering pump and fan off a 2000 I owned back in 2015, the ps downstream O2, air filter box and MAF, gas cap, sai plumbing off my current 2000 that’s getting the motor rebuilt. Having a parts car can not be over estimated if you have the space
Thanks yes I do have the space. Better she’s my part car than someone else’s!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts