Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son was driving his 2004 Disco II SE7 on the highway last evening, when all of a sudden he loses power, no accelaration and the steering wheel locks up. Engine still running. He was able to get to the side of the road and call a tow truck.
Any thoughts on what may have happened? timing chain?
(it's always something with this car)
Thanks

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
It ain't the timing chain if the engine was still running. That's not a common failure point on these motors, either. How many miles? How many/what lights are illuminated on the dash? The steering wheel locked, but he steered it to the side of the road, so did it unlock again? Did he have brakes?

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Sounds like it stalled out and he coasted off the road (engine not running so no power steering).
I have experienced 2 things that can do similar. #1 is likely the most probable.
1- Crankshaft position sensor failure. Usually dies completely and may not set any fault codes.It may start up again after a cooling off period
2- mass airflow sensor problem, I had similar happen recently. Loss of power, no acceleration, engine light on, engine did not stall. I was able to limp off the highway at just more than idle and was lucky enough to figure it out at the side of the road to get me home. Not sure if it was a bad electrical connection or a piece of crud contaminating the sensor. Regardless of what it was it has been fine ever since

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
~75Kmiles; Sport mode and manual indicators green flashing; steering locked within ~5 seconds of power loss - was able to steer to side of road before it locked up; Also could not move the gear shift. engine stayed running until it was turned off. Yes there were brakes. Thanks

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
The key here is the Sport and Manual mode indicators. This might be as simple as a bad ground or other electrical connection. Was he able to rev the motor, it just wasn't engaging the transmission? Gear shift in D?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.