Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 2000 Disco II, 178,000 miles. I am having low oil pressure lamp that comes on about 60% of the time on start up. I can make it go off usually by throttling it some. I can hear that the engine is not getting oil. I need help diagnosing this issue please.

A couple of details...

used small amount of seafoam in crankcase during fall, oil lamp started coming on within a few days of this

2 lean codes currently p1171 and p1174

oil pump failed 4 years ago, I installed new one

last week I checked the oil pick up strainer, it was clear, oil good.
changed to a new fram xg16 filter with 10w30 synthetic, oil level full
the problem is a bit intermittent but is always and only at start up

What should I do next?

Should I pull the timing cover and eyeball the pump gears, would I be able to tell just by looking if I got another defective oil pump? Can an oil pump gradually fail? I don't have overheating.

Is this problem bigger ie bearing clearance, but my problem is only on start up?

I don't want to lose my engine here, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
-Heather

· And I didn't even submit a proposal...
202 Posts
The oil pressure sender could be bad. You could install an oil gauge an see exactly what's happening. A permanent one is nice because after a time you get a feel for what's normal and what is not, and they're not that expensive. The one I installed even has an audible alarm that you can adjust and it will sound off if it goes lower than that.

The pump can go gradually. Oftentimes you'll hear people saying that the outer gear in the pump was broken in three but it stands to reason that it began by breaking in two. I know mine began by coming on briefly on red lights.

· Registered
6 Posts
I'm having same issue on my 04. All seems normal and light goes on when i throttle up as well. Not losing oil or overheating. If it is just the sender is that something that can be putt off? Or should this be fixed immediately?

· Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm having same issue on my 04. All seems normal and light goes on when i throttle up as well. Not losing oil or overheating. If it is just the sender is that something that can be putt off? Or should this be fixed immediately?
I can actually hear my engine being starved for oil. 2004 is one of the years that the oil pump is known to fail so you need to troubleshoot if your sending sensor is accurate or not, do an oil pressure test. You can lose your engine quickly if you don't pay attention to the sound of your engine which is what I'm trying to avoid.
-Heather

· Registered
356 Posts
stop driving it and put a mechanical gauge on it before you cause permanent damage!

· Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can actually hear my engine being starved for oil. 2004 is one of the years that the oil pump is known to fail so you need to troubleshoot if your sending sensor is accurate or not, do an oil pressure test. You can lose your engine quickly if you don't pay attention to the sound of your engine which is what I'm trying to avoid.
-Heather
Sorry, I just double checked and it looks like the 2003 with certain vin# are affected. Mine is a 2000 and the oil pump failed on me, when I looked at the oil pump it was in 3 pieces!

-Heather

· And I didn't even submit a proposal...
202 Posts
All the oil pumps can fail regardless of the year and VIN range. The problem with what is known as the 2003 VIN range is that for the blocks manufactured within that range, the holes in the block for the alignment pins of the oil pump were drilled slightly off, which messed up the alignment of the pump, which in turn caused the pump to fail prematurely. But they all fail eventually, even if the holes are drilled correctly.

Considering the price of a re-manufactured engine, or even just the manpower to replace the oil pump, installing a mechanical gauge is the best investment ever, it gives you peace of mind even when the pump is new.

· Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All the oil pumps can fail regardless of the year and VIN range. The problem with what is known as the 2003 VIN range is that for the blocks manufactured within that range, the holes in the block for the alignment pins of the oil pump were drilled slightly off, which messed up the alignment of the pump, which in turn caused the pump to fail prematurely. But they all fail eventually, even if the holes are drilled correctly.

Considering the price of a re-manufactured engine, or even just the manpower to replace the oil pump, installing a mechanical gauge is the best investment ever, it gives you peace of mind even when the pump is new.
Good info, I'm going out today to get an aftermarket gauge, such a valuable tool for small $. I just can't imagine that my 4 year old oil pump is shot. I don't know what else it can be at this point. I've always done good maintenance and oil changes, maybe a dud from Atlantic British, idk. Guess I'm doing a tear down on the next warm day:(
-Heather

· Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Resolution to my problem

I finally figured out the reason for my low oil pressure at start up. I had a faulty Fram oil filter!!!!! I will never buy that brand again. I put in a K&N filter and no more low oil pressure, the fram had less than 100 miles on it:complain:
-Heather

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.