Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Josh,
The chances of a bad sender are slim. Plan on pulling the pan, you might want to do an engine flush first, loosen up some of the crap in the top end of the engine and drop it in the pan before you pull it.
Pull the pan, check the bottom of the pan for anything unusual, check the pick up tube and then spray clean all the varnish and laquer and button her up.
Good luck,
Mike J.

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
Do not be over worried RV8s are renown for low oil pressure its the way they are,I would change the oil filter and oil you can flush it if you feel the need its a nice easy job if you want to remove the sump should be well within your cababilities put aside a morning for doing the job at a steady pace

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
onslow said:
Do not be over worried RV8s are renown for low oil pressure its the way they are,I would change the oil filter and oil you can flush it if you feel the need its a nice easy job if you want to remove the sump should be well within your cababilities put aside a morning for doing the job at a steady pace
I agree with what you are saying, except that since Rovers are prone to oil presuure problems and for that reason need to be check out. If you have plugged up the oil pick up tube or if it has come loose, which they are know to do, you can or will loose your engine.
By the way, flushing the engine is as easy as adding a quart of fluid, letting it run for 5 or 10 minutes at an idle and changing the oil, no mess.
Mike J.

·
Forward!
2,324 Posts
keptin said:
Disco MikeGood luck said:
...thanks... :bawling:

...I might take it to the local independent shop....it sounds like a lot of work and I really dont have the correct tools and know-how.
Josh,
Follow DiscoMikes advice and flush then drop the pan. Not a bad job at all, easily doable for the weekend mechanic. Heck you might even get rid of an oil leak by resealing up the sump pan.

Good luck and let us know how it all turns out.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alright...I might try that...we will see. ...its pretty bad weather, and I dont really have a garage that fits my rover...and I need my rover soon. I can see if I can get it into a friends garage to do my work in...

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ive decided to take it to the local independent shop. There is no way for me to really mess with it.....yes, I do have your run of the mil socket set...but its in english mesurements and with the weather like it is and with me not wanting to deal with it....

.....I need it soon, had to borrow my moms car yesterday. I would probably try to do it myself if it wasnt so cold and wet out, if I did it now in my driveway I would be doing it in 45 deg weather while its pouring with flowing water on my back.....its just not happening.

sorry guys....looks like I might have to pony up for this one...

·
Registered
187 Posts
keptin said:
if I did it now in my driveway I would be doing it in 45 deg weather while its pouring with flowing water on my back.....its just not happening.

sorry guys....looks like I might have to pony up for this one...
I don't blame you for that. I wouldn't be out pulling the pan in the weather.

Speaking of flowing water, I took the family up to Tahoe yesterday. It rained so much from Truckee on down to Sac, its no wonder why everything is flooding. Stay dry Josh.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Josh is probably back in his element, I just saw the news report and Truckey is white again.
Mike J.

·
Forward!
2,324 Posts
keptin said:
alright...I might try that...we will see. ...its pretty bad weather, and I dont really have a garage that fits my rover...and I need my rover soon. I can see if I can get it into a friends garage to do my work in...
I know how you feel...I have been living in apartments the last 3 years with no garages!!! Done all my work out in the elements, and it sucks! Oh well, my wife and I have our house hunting narrowed down to four and it depends which garage will hold our trucks! It sure will be nice to own a house again.

Good luck Josh and I hope your truck is well again soon!!! :D :drink1:

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yep...right now its snowing pretty hard and it would be painful trying to take off the oil pan like it is.

....it could soon be a whiteout at my house....visability perhaps 500 ft or so right now.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright.....I finally took it in. The place is called sierra autosport....their ad has a DII as the main vehicle in it....comforting.

My guess is that its going to be around $300 for everything....im also having them replace PS fluid and oil- syn Mobile 1 and filter.

Im trying the stock LR filter this time around. I had stock filters for two years and this happened 4 months after getting the K&N. I also am using 5w40 instead of 10w40.....plus its winter so it will be fine anyhow. Hopefully this wont happen again. I talked to the guy...it seems that the oil picups are a common issue for the oil pressure warning light to come on so hopefully its only that.....the car is probably out of the shop already but I am on vacation (right now) till saturday.....at mammoth lake.....well close; june lake and area.

I also am having them copy down all of the ABS codes from their reader....so I got that for free and hopefully will be on top of that once I get the extended ABS and brake lines in so I can at least start with a brake fluid change/gravity bleed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.