Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my friend is not happy when towing (caravan) with his Disco it seems to lack power! :mad:
he is bringing it around tommorow so that we can check the timing, CO emmisions and the piston compressions.
anyone found this with theirs?
Is this expected?
Is there one of there performance booster chips available on the market, if so did it work?
any help would be gratefully appreicated. :clap:
regards

·
Registered
5 Posts
Disco Power

Hi Colin,

The Discovery V8 engine is normally a good tow vehicle. When checking for loss of power you should start with the simple things first. such as Ignition timing, fuel pressure, fuel filter, air filter and make sure all cylinders are operating.

How many miles has the vehicle done? This engine is normally good in the compression department unless it has overheated and run without coolant.

If it is a high milage engine (70,000+) I would be looking at the condition of the timing chain, camshaft and lifters, Early V8 engine suffered from camshaft wear. You will need to remove the inlet manifold and valley cover to inspect the camshaft and followers. However a quick check can be done by measuring the camshaft lift at the valve using a dial indicator.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Cheers,

Graeme.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Graeme,
Well Rob brought over the Disco and said that the distributer was loose when he bought it.
Turned out to be 20 ATD degrees out of alignment but to the ear sounded OK.
set the timing to the timing to the correct value (vacuum removed) and she sounded even better! :clap:
Did a CO measurement and she was smack on 0.5%.
Rob thinks (convincing himself) that she is accelarating better but we will find out this newyear when we meet up with the caravans for the celebrations.
My opion is he will see the difference. :)
regards

1 - 3 of 3 Posts