Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

A few days ago I developed a low revs "lumpy" engine missfire type of thing - I duly changed the plugs, leads and the distributor cap on my 89/90 v8 carb D1 - the low rev missfire was cured - well it was and now it isn't!

As the engine warms up after say a 10 mile run it comes back. She seems to run fine on the choke (manual choke) and then for ten minutes or so after that.

Today I cleaned the rotor arm, put a little oil down the shaft it lives on to lubricate the dizzie's spring loaded weight thingy, I checked each and every plug to make sure they were getting a spark, by the way - no discernable engine note change in four of the cylinders... however, I could hear the "pock" "pock" sound as the lead was slowly brought nearer the plug - I guess all the new plugs are getting a spark. I put some oil in the carb dampers and last but not least put an STP fuel additive to help clean things up a bit.

Same problem - a ten mile run and she starts to missfire at very low revs - any further ideas chaps?

Is the vac advance to blame?

What symptoms would you get if you had a sticking hydraulic valve? The oil level is at the minimum - but then through various leaks it usually is - and I've never experienced this before.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,

Mark Holland-Hicken

·
JesusIsLord
185 Posts
Hi Mark,

I have the same problem. It only gets worse with time... I've heard a few suggestions on the board and tried several (cheap ones) with ******... Looks like the Idle Control Valve (Stepper Motor) is probably the culprit. I found a source at AutohausAZ for $231.41 USD. You can check out their site at www.autohausaz.com, they sell Genuine and Aftemarket LR parts. I've used them before with a Saab I previously owned. They have good stuff at good prices. Hope this helps. I haven't tried replacing it yet so I'm not certain this is the fix, but this is what I'm doing next. Let me know if you do this and it helps out :D

·
Registered
490 Posts
If you feel lucky... you might want to look at this. http://www.rangerovers.net/discoparts/

I copied this from that site. Sorry, not sure I could get the link to work even if I tried.

*****If you are interested in experimenting a bit, cheaper alternatives can be tried, at considerably lower cost than the genuine part or those sold by the traditional Rover aftermarket suppliers. Salvador, of Baja Rovers, Mexico, found that as we suspected the idle air bypass valve/stepper motor is indeed a GM part #25527077. He found the Napa part number is 2-1738. Phil Tetzlaff reports finding this part at his Boulder Colorado NAPA store, but later exchanged it for one manufactured by AC Delco, part number 217-437. It appeared to be of higher quality (in casting density and spring strength) than the Napa brand part, and indeed appeared to be exactly the same as the Land Rover part. The final kicker was that while the "genuine" Land Rover part is well over $150, the Napa part cost was $51.99, and the AC Delco only $38.51!" (However, prices have gone up considerably since then due to the fall in the dollar). Greg Olma suggests “Go to a junkyard and take your pick from GM 4 and 6cyl. I use PB'laster to clean em.” Richard Atkinson reports that this is perhaps the most popular GM idle air motor, and is eqiivalent to AC Delco part number 73312A, He says it also crosses to AC 17085051, 17086051 and 1717111288, amongst others, which were fitted to almost all 3.1L V6 from '90 - 95, '85 - '86 2.8L V6, as fitted to Cavalier and Celebrity, '85 -'92 5.0L and 5.7L V8 Camaro, etc. etc.

I have recently done more research into this mysterious part. Searching the NAPA parts directory, I did not find this genuine AC-Delco part, but they had an equivalent off-brand "Mileage Plus Fuel Idle Air Control Valve" part number MPF31738 for about $40 at Napaonline.com. (Glenn Coffman went to NAPA recently (June 2004) and they gave him a P/N 2-1736 for his 91 RR for $57). I found they had an alternative matching Echlin part number CRB21738 for $52.99 (a better known brand). I also discovered that the GM Part number 25527077 is the AC-Delco part number 217-437. Various internet GM parts sources sell it for around $50.

The lowest price I have found recently (November 2003) was at AutoPartsGIANT.com for $36.58!! (search for fuel injection parts, 1989 Chevy Astro V6 -- subcategory idle speed control parts).

Update July 2004: Cory Novak found that partsamerica.com & sister store Advance Auto have the Idle Air Bypass Valve for $27.99 in stock most of the time it is GP Sorensen 779-10003 & item number 5012678.********

·
MG
771 Posts
I don't know if your problem is indeed the stepper motor, but if it is, here's my 2 cents.

I replaced my stepper motor with the AC Delco one mentioned in the site, so far (1k mi) no problems. For the $50 it cost me (vs. $400 that my local LR "genuine" provider asked for), it was worth the experiment.

Comparing the new AC Delco part and the old OEM side-by-side, they have the same factory markings and both are "Made in Mexico".

I posted a string with pictures if you care to search...

Good luck!

·
JesusIsLord
185 Posts
me.guevara said:
I don't know if your problem is indeed the stepper motor, but if it is, here's my 2 cents.

I replaced my stepper motor with the AC Delco one mentioned in the site, so far (1k mi) no problems. For the $50 it cost me (vs. $400 that my local LR "genuine" provider asked for), it was worth the experiment.

Comparing the new AC Delco part and the old OEM side-by-side, they have the same factory markings and both are "Made in Mexico".

I posted a string with pictures if you care to search...

Good luck!
Excellent info from both of you guys. Maybe I'll go ahead and replace mine now that it cost less than $50!. I'll let you know if it fixes the problem. Thanks! :buttrock:

·
JesusIsLord
185 Posts
Hey Guys, I found a part at PepBoy's Auto Parts for $34.99! It's a Borg Warner part and the number is 21774. The electrical connector is exactly the same. This part is for the Disco with the 4.0L engine. It will also fit the '97 Jeep Wrangler with the 4.0L engine. I'll put it on when I replace my water pump. That went out yesterday... I'll keep you posted on the results. :clap:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.