Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-

New member here- longtime reader.

My vehicles are 2003 D2 (220k), and 2x 96 D1s- (98k and 161k).

It's my 161k D1 that has the idle issue. My 98k D1 idles hot or cold at ~750 rpm. My 161k D1 upon cold start idles at 750; but when the engine is hot and after several short trips when I need to restart the idle starts at 750-1000 but then drops to ~250-300 rpm and is rough. After 10-30 seconds the idle will settle at 600rpm or so.

I've cleaned my MAF, replaced my air filter, cleaned my idle air valve, going to replace plugs and wires.

The codes I've read deal with misfiring but I'm not yet convinced it's my sparkpmugs but they're cheap to replace.

I've read enough on this forum to know i should suspect the fuel temp sensor or crankshaft sensor or loss of fuel pressure but have not replaced any of those components yet until I can diagnose the issue and deal with the low hanging fruit first.

Please advise other sensors or valves to clean.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards

Brian

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Post all your codes. Then clear them, take it for a good drive and repost what comes back.

I'm far from an expert on that engine, but the IAC is where I would start. I believe it uses the same piece found on many other manufacturer's engines. Take a look at - AIRTEX 2H1142 and confirm that this cross references to your part. The MAF can also be troublesome and never give you a MAF code. Sometimes cleaning them kills them, but my guess is they were almost dead anyway. It wouldn't hurt to throw a vacuum gauge on it.

At that age and mileage it's not uncommon to have more than one item causing the issue. Two or more marginal systems can pair up and cause what are sometimes very baffling problems.

I'm usually not a proponent of throwing parts at a problem, but at that mileage, most of the items you mention are at the end of their expected lifespan. Whatever you replace is probably due anyway. I don't know about you, but I'm much more amenable to doing repairs in my shop instead of on the roadside.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.