Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was just curious about how LR's 4wd systems compare to others like Toyota, Heeps, Chevy, etc... I know my disco is full time 4wd with the CDL, but is that the same as the jeep(they offer a full time 4wd system, i'm assuming it has some extra features on it?). Also how does it compare to the Yota's locking hub systems as well as other 4wd systems?

· Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump

· Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bump bump, anyone?

· 94 Defender 90
1,004 Posts
Most others have part-time 4wd. Our Land Rovers have Full-Time 4WD. Range Rovers with the amazing Viscous Coupling to provide "true" 4WD and the Disco and Defender with a manual CDL. Toyotas, Jeeps, Chevy's, Fords, etc aren't driven all the time in 4WD. It needs to be selected. Some of their newer models may have different systems, but that's how the majority of them work.

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
I agree with cellulararrest... The rangies have visc. coupleing, jeep,ford etc.. run open the wheel go directly to the wheel with least resistance and dont even try to budge the other side....... A lot of new trucks have options of electric lockers...... they are in no way as reliable as ARB air(in my opinion).....basically rovers still help in off positions where as jeep etc.. may have only 1 or 2 wheel trying to do all the work........ Hope this helps a little

· 94 Defender 90
1,004 Posts
Just make sure you don't get confused about a part time system having an open center diff. When 4WD is engaged, the power is split directly (50/50) between the front and rear axles. There is no center differential like Discoveries or Defenders have. Without locking differentials on the front and rear axles you still really only have 2WD. If one wheel on the front axle looses traction and one wheel on the back axle looses traction as well, you're not moving.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.