Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1985 Land Rover 90 n/a has jumped out of reverse since I got it so treated it to a secondhand gearbox this works fine apart from the change from 3rd to 4th slightly notchy and just beating the syncromesh if the change is rushed, if changed with consideration no problem.

Was wondering if anyone has any ideas re one of these new synthetic type wonder oils which seem to improve gearchange etc, or any other ideas re oil one other thing the new gearbox maybe a LT77S and I have just stuck in Comma ATF in it. This gearbox is a major improvement over the old one but has anyone got any ideas to tweak it even more.

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
While I have an R380 instead of LT77S, The results may likely have been the same. I changed to Synthetic ATF and noticed a marked improvement. The important thing to remember in either box, is exactly what you said, that these boxes hate being rushed.

I recently added about a pint of Lucas gear oil to the box, and again noticed an improvement in changes. Surprisingly, where I also notice an improvement, which I appreciate more, is selecting Reverse, when stopped.

Where, in the Highlands?

· Registered
28 Posts
LR is now suggesting synthetic Manual Transmission Lubrcants now instead of ATF. I've been using Redline MTL in my LT77 for awhile now and have been very happy.

Have you dealt with the imput gear on the trransfer case? That is the quickest to wear out point in the driveline.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.