Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about purchasing a 2003 LR Discovery SE7. It is listed at 9995 and has 86000 miles. I have seen a lot of reviews out there. Some good and some bad - really bad. We have a mechanic in the family and my husband and I are pretty handy/resourceful. A lot of people are telling me not to do it but is there anyone on here that absolutely loves theirs and can give me some pointers on what to expect as far as repairs and maintenance go? I firmly believe in regular maintenance to keep it running in tip top shape and would love to hear what the fans love and hate about them.

·
Good Ol' Sport
12 Posts
I've had my '06 RR Sport for 2.5 years now and I truly enjoy it! Having a good working knowledge of cars helps keep maintenance costs down. I am annoyed having replaced some gas filler door latching parts, suspension compressor, and miscellaneous light bulbs more than once. I sounds like you will only need the dealer for parts and advice so the LR3 sounds like a good price with low miles.
I'm a firm believer that you'll be happier (or should I say not as agitated) paying for and fixing a car you want and like as opposed to something else you settled for!

·
And I didn't even submit a proposal...
202 Posts
My standard reply to your question is : Being relatively new to the world of Land Rovers, (and not by choice because my girlfriend is the one who dreamed of having a Disco II ever since she had first laid eyes on one years ago), I would say that the best answer to your question is that owning a Disco II is a thing of passion. You have to get to know it, and I mean really well. You have to read a lot on the forums, get to know who the gurus are, try to make sense of all the advice you get, and decide what has to be done, how, and in what order. Stay away from the dealers as much as possible. You can all do it yourself with the help of the good people on this forum. You have to keep a close eye on your Disco, much like a plane captain in the air force. (Not the one riding the sled, but the noncom who is responsible for its maintenance) Look at the fluid levels every week, be attentive to the sounds, creaks, whines, pops and sighs that come out of it, and know what they mean.

You climb in a used Toyota and drive that plastic lump day in and day out without even thinking about it. A Land Rover is alive and you have to treat it as such.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If your asking the members of a Land Rover forum if we like having Land Rovers, I would hope the answer would be a resounding yes.

From me it certainly is. The Disco II is one of the few trucks in this world that meets all of my needs from Dry luggage space and 7 passengers to towing and four wheeling. It is very much passion driven though. I grew up with a Range Rover Classic and a Disco I in the family, both of which have met their maker. But with the right maintenance and care they lived to be seasoned veterans of the trail.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Fun to drive, very comfortable, great space for families. Mine is a 2000 disco2 se7. Don't expect it to be good on fuel - they are not. There are lots of electronics - the more there is the more there is to have trouble. Not to say you will have troubles but they are more likely. I am a mechanic and work on all makes of cars and trucks. Had always liked rovers and have no regrets buying and driving one. If you are looking for a low maintenance vehicle buy a corolla. Boring!
For some of us a rover has become part of our identity. Not just a means of transportation.
03s commonly have oil pump issues. Research your purchase. Price sounds high although prices vary by region. Do some comparing and have a mechanic familiar with rovers check it before you buy!
Best of luck

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought my 04 about 4 years ago. It's been sunk 6ft under water, over many peaks on the trails in Colorado, pulls my 12ft cargo trailer, and carries my 5 kids to school everyday. I like it so much that I just bought my wife an 04 range rover. As long as you can do your own maintenance, it is a good vehicle. I would shop around on the price.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
That price is way too high. Even at that mileage it should be half that. Pass on that one. No matter what you decide on, take it to a very reputable LR INDY shop and have them go through it from top to bottom. NOT the dealer. It will be money well spent.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I am thinking about purchasing a 2003 LR Discovery SE7. It is listed at 9995 and has 86000 miles. I have seen a lot of reviews out there. Some good and some bad - really bad. We have a mechanic in the family and my husband and I are pretty handy/resourceful. A lot of people are telling me not to do it but is there anyone on here that absolutely loves theirs and can give me some pointers on what to expect as far as repairs and maintenance go? I firmly believe in regular maintenance to keep it running in tip top shape and would love to hear what the fans love and hate about them.
There is the key, maintenance. I love my truck, I have a 2001 Discovery 2 SE7. I wouldn't get a 4.6, also, they are absolute crap. People will defend them, but its because they own them, I'm not biased, my brother has a 4.6 with 50k less miles on it and my motor sounds better. Ford went cheap on the 2002-04 Discovery 2's and they have a terrible build quality all around.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
I am a mechanic and usually buy fixer uppers. I am currently on discovery number 3
- Solid 2000 se7, needed minor work (except heater core),paid $1000 and drive it every day,
- Solid 2001 se5 ,but needed fuel and brake lines, nice straight body good drivetrain and interior decent paid $900
Just today bought a 1996 5 seater, solid minor holes in front floor and some roof rust
Paid $400 canadian

·
Super Trooper
1,176 Posts
...No matter what you decide on, take it to a very reputable LR INDY shop and have them go through it from top to bottom. NOT the dealer. It will be money well spent.
Best advise yet. This is the best way I know to explain it. Would you rather pay $200 before you buy it to find out it is in need of $3,000 worth of work or would you rather save that $200 to find out after purchasing you need another $2,800 to add to the $200 you saved. Your call, but anyone with a brain will tell you that spending $200 to save $3,000 is a smart investment.

The 2003s suffered from an oil pump problem that could wreck the engine. Do a search for the VIN range and check the one you're looking at to see if it is within the range. Check the car fox report to see where its been serviced. Then call up the business and ask for service records. This is invaluable because you'll be able to tell if this has been a problem vehicle for the previous owners.

Despite what you read there are good Land Rovers out there. I've owned 3 Land Rover products and they have all been great. I've never had any strange or troublesome problems with any of mine, including my LR3. So if this one doesn't work out, keep looking. There are good ones out there, you just have to really look for them.

Colin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.