Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get some answers here. My wife's '00 Disco II has been running great for awhile. I noticed that some mornings we come out to the vehicle and the drivers rear side is lowered or dropped down to the bump stops. We would then start the car and notice that the suspension levelling kicks in and puts air in the suspension and raises the drivers rear side. This happened a few times in the past 2 months. Now, the thing is it stays like that for the past 3 days and drives with the one end down to the bump stops and it seems to look like the passenger front is jacked up a bit(maybe). The one side does not seem to want to go up anymore. Anyone have any suggestions on what to check without just rushing to the stealerships??? Thanks in advance,

Frosty_Power
'00 Disco II 110k KM's

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
If it is the air bag- stick a new one in there (they're improved over the originals now) and go back to normal. The SLS suspension is awesome... a coil conversion only makes sense if you plan to lift it or pound it senseless.
Used bags can be had cheap too.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Silver Streak said:
I agree. Replace the bag and baby it. And STAY away from the middle of no where, because that's when it'll crap out agian . :D

Seems to be how it works.......On my parents Rangie the air bags went at the worst times!!!

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Get the bags replaced in pairs and do it real soon, don't drive it with one side down, your wife could get hurt and you will also burn out the SLS air pump which is very expensive.
Here is a great company that sells aftermarket bags with a lifetime guarantee.
http://www.arnottindustries.com/
Good luck,
Mike J.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
The Rangie suspension and SLS are not the same. SLS is not prone to the common failures of the older Rangie systems. All the urban legend of SLS stranding people is rubbish. If you plan to wheel it hard, swap to coils because you have to anyway to get the height, but for a street-bound Disco the SLS is superior.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Frosty,
Don't switch over to springs, the SLS is a good system and the older bags could develop a leak. I currently have a slow leak in my 99 with 75K of rough wheeling, they held up welltill now.
Check out that web site I sent you, I think it may be the best deal out there at a good price, nearly half of Rovers with a lifetime warranty. The replacement can be done in your driveway in less then an hour.
Mike J.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you guys very much. I'll search the forum for thoughts on both the springs and the air bag. I'll check out that site too and see if I can do this replacement myself. Thanks for all your help and hope to get my wife's Disco on the road again,
Frosty

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
replacing a bag takes less time that jacking up the truck and pulling off the wheel. It's no big deal. Avoid cheap offbrand replacement bags- you're better off with a used REAL one than a cheap offbrand replacement.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Muddy Oval said:
replacing a bag takes less time that jacking up the truck and pulling off the wheel. It's no big deal. Avoid cheap offbrand replacement bags- you're better off with a used REAL one than a cheap offbrand replacement.
I think you are wrong on your replacement theory using old bags. They are made with old stle rubber material, tried out and stretched. There is no way to predict how long it might last.
I would rather buy a new tech air bag with a lifetime warranty at half the price of Rovers bags.
That though is just my option,
Take care,
Mike J.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Kinda like the lifetime warranties on cheap light bulbs- sure, they'll give you new ones over and over, but the hassle osn't worth it. Buy an OEM one or don't bother. I've seen aftermarket bags and they are junk.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
So we dissagree on this one, but having worked as a service writer and manager for along time, I have often found after market can be better and this is one of those areas.
Have a good New years,
Mike J.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
It's possible you're getting them from somewhere else- the ones I've seen were from some third world country... I'm sure more companies either HAVE or will come out with them.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
There was a post on this site regarding a similar problem......and if i remember correctly the cause was the computer control of the sls and not the bags themselves........check it out.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Muddy Oval said:
It's possible you're getting them from somewhere else- the ones I've seen were from some third world country... I'm sure more companies either HAVE or will come out with them.
Check them out, I think you may change you ming.
http://www.arnottindustries.com/

Have a good New Years.
Mke J.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey Frost,i changed my air springs this aftenoon and it took me about an hour to replace both sides.i got my parts fron rover landparts.bought 2 used air springs in very good condition .cost $125.00 each plus shipping. i would an aftermarket brand would be ok to use also. :D :beer:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.