Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2010 LR2 with 50,500 miles on it. I just noticed a small leak spot in my driveway, behind the rear driver's side tire. It's a slow drip falling off the bottom of the wheel well. I got under there with a flashlight, and I can see streaks of it coming down from inside the wheel well. It's an oily, slightly reddish/brown fluid. Has a definite "oil" odor to it. Seems to drip once or twice an hour, so it's fairly slow.

I had the rear differential repaired 5 days ago. Given the diff repair was just done, it must be related, right? Is it differential fluid or something else? Secondly, could it be they made a mess of it and splashed overflow under the chassis slowly dripping out over time....or is it a problem and I'm losing fluid from the internals? I need some advice on whether I should take this in or see if it's temporary. Again, it's been 5 days.

·
Registered
41 Posts
AFIK the only oily fluids there can be back there are brake fluid, damper oil, or diff oil if it's run down the half shaft and then been thrown into the wheel arch area as the car is moving. Just had a look in my brake fluid reservoir and that is red/brown. No idea on the colour of damper or diff oil.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So turns out it was differential fluid (gear oil) that was coming out of the breather which on the LR2 is up above the drivers side rear wheel, hidden behind the plastic flashing. The mechanic who repaired the diff overfilled it somehow and it was pressurizing and coming out the breather. Another mechanic drained it down to normal level for me and we were fine. (Also -- the clean gear oil wasn't really red. It was a light tan color. Must have mixed with dirt on the undercarriage)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.