Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Wife drives the 2007 Freelander 2, 2.2 Diesel. The other day she drove it home parked it in the driveway and the next morning it would not start. All the usual low battery weirdness started. Hazard lights, windscreen wipers flashing displays. As Freelander 2 owners', I guess we are all used to that.
Now this has happened a few times in the last 6 years so I believed that I would be either a) disconnecting the negative terminal for 30 seconds and then be back on my way or, b) if her highness had left the lights, on recharging a battery. But not the case!
The battery was a little low but the car also wouldn't crank on jumpers leads to a good battery. With jumpers there was a clicking noise but not much else. I anticipated the starter was on its way out, so it got the blame, and was replaced. Still no dice.
Bench tested the old one as an afterthought and it was also working. Anyone want a second hand starter (-;
Took out the new starter and it of course it was working, put it in the car...again and used the fuse box relay inputs to bridge the connection to the solenoid. The solenoid clicks strongly but the engine does not turn over. With a jumper it can just manage to turn over.
It seems odd to me that the engine would seize after a drive without any telltale signs. It is very hard to turn the engine by hand but I don't really know what is usual.
I have inspected the direct positive power cable to the starter and it looks to be in good condition so I am pretty much stumped.

Could something on the utility belt have seized and be making it hard for the engine to turn over? Could there be a short in the alternator that could prevent enough power from getting to the starter?
I am really at a loss. Any suggestions welcome and appreciated. I have loved this car but I'm getting more afraid it's engine is dead.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you try connecting the jumpers without connecting to the old battery (that wasn't clear in your writeup if you did do it that way)? Make sure that the ground connection on the good vehicle is connected to a metal ground point on the vehicle, not the battery. Ensure the jumping vehicle battery meets the CCA requirements of the Freelander with issues, too. Also, have someone revving up the good vehicle a bit to ensure the alternator is putting out max amps.
If you get it to start, leave it running and disconnect the jumper cables to ensure the alternator is working (vehicle should keep running as normal). If it doesn't, the alternator is bad.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts