Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings! Hello I am the proud owner of a 2008 LR2 SE that I acquired in Jan 2017 (at that time it had about 71k miles, it now has about 74k). I am worried my fairy tail has became a nightmare.

My rover now seems to have trouble going up inclines when the engine is first started and has not had time to warm up to full operating temperature. When going up these same inclines after the car has fully warmed up it does so pretty much effortlessly. ( I am driving it only after fully warming up until I get it fixed I made this one exception for the video)

Here is a video of the struggling (though after watching it, I realize it isn't that informative): youtube .com /watch?v=koCfhwV6CEw

( I am driving it only after fully warming up until I get it fixed I made this one exception for the video)

I really like the car, but am worried I may have bought a piece of junk, sadly the car was in the shop after only about 2.5 months due to a coolant leek where the dealer replaced the coolant hose to the oil cooler and the thermostat (which cost me about $1200), now it seems its having trouble again. (I bought it from a Audi Dealer they were asking 12.5k for it I paid like 9.2K)

Any idea what is wrong?

A few other questions if I may:
1) I don't see any Trans fluid leaking or on the ground where I have parked, so I have no reason to think it is low, but I was thinking maybe since it works fine after heated up that I should get the trans fluid changed? Thoughts? Do I need to go to the dealer or can I go to just any shop that does trans fluid change/flushes? I was thinking maybe a course of action would be go to shop have them check the fluid/level if low simply fill up to correct level (to see how long it takes to get low again), if it was full then have them do a fluid change or flush.
2) Is it safe to go to just any old oil change place to get your oil changed, I've seen mixed stories. There is a place that I have been going to with my old car but the whole cartridge filter thing has me kinda scared.

Any other maintenance tips a tricks for the LR2 that you can share?

Sorry for going on and on the main thing I'm looking for is recommendations about what is wrong with my car and what I should do about it.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
First off, you bought a Rover. Expect for it to be somewhat less reliable than a Honda/Toyota and cost more to repair. You need to begin investigating local independent import shops to find one that knows and loves the Rover. You'll need to drive past and look to see if they have any in their bays or lot and talk to them at some length. "Yeah we work on all of 'em" is a bad sign.

To your specific: it's probably not your transmission. If it were low on fluid and slipping, you'd have been on the tow hook already. And warming up a slipping transmission doesn't make it not slip. It's likely there is a malfunction in the engine management system relative to coolant temperatre. Do you have any lights displaying on your dash- ones that shouldn't be there? Nonetheless, a good, proper drain, flush and fill on the transmission, differentials, etc is definitely something you need to get on once your problem is fixed.

On oil change, the cartridge filter is probably a bit more idiot proof than a spin-on. At least you won't have some mouth breather double gasketing it. But I'd leave that to the good, qualified independent you're going to find. The oil and filter are more important that who's changing it. Use the best you can get, which is a premium full-synthetic. I use Motorcraft filters in my Ford diesels, and BMW filters in our BMW's. I'd suggest a Rover filter for yours. For everything else, the Purolator Pure 1 is a good choice and if they have it for your truck, I wouldn't lose sleep over using one. The One, not the cheaper piece.

Anything can break. My first real job was repairing brand new GM vehicles as they rolled off the truck at the dealer. But $1200 for an oil cooler line and a thermostat--- something's wrong there. These Rovers use a higher-pressure cooling system- it's a BMW design that somehow remained after they sold the Co. They are notorious for parts failure, especially the molded plastic stuff. When my wife had her E46, I replaced the ex tank every 2 years AND carried one in with the spare tire.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
One other thought- do you notice the car pulling to one side or another or steering funny? Do you smell anything odd? Do you notice after driving a while unusual heat coming from any wheel(s)? A stuck brake caliper or two can cause this sort of issue. Your engine isn't going to make max power at cold startup and a stuck caliper can put enough force on the driveline to slow you down. Once the engine gets up to power and the brake rotor heats to the point of doing very little, the drag will seem to disappear. Probably won't stop all that great though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi CT090!
Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Shop wise I think I may try these guys british4x4 .com - They are in my area only slightly further then the dealer

There are no lights illuminated on the dash indicating any problem, and no pulling to either side or indication of a brake problem, and no strange smells.

With regards to the prior service, the majority of the $1200 was for labor because they had to remove the air intake to get to the oil cooler and thermostat (I had taken it to a shop the I had used before, but they said they couldn't do it because the intake had to be removed).

What you've described with the engine management system/coolant temp hopefully sounds much more manageable, and now that I think of it the problem didn't really occur until after they changed the hose/thermostat to the best that I can remember.

Thanks again, I'll post back when its all sorted out to contribute to the knowledge of the Forum

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.