Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! New to the forum, looks like everyone is terribly helpful to each other and that's a community I need to belong to! :)

I have an '08 LR2 HSE. Yesterday the tailgate decided to not open, but the car thought it was open and I received the message that it was open and the interior lights stayed on during my 1.5 hour commute!

My husband opened the back panel (from the inside) but couldn't get it off completely. He was able to "pull the plug" (no idea what that refers to) to make the car think the trunk was closed so we could lock it and the interior floor lights & trunk lights would go off. But we can't open it and I am afraid to try & see if it is working today because I won't be able to lock it all day!

Does anyone know how to fix this ourselves from the inside...with the door closed?

Thanks!:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can't help with how difficult it is to replace, but can't be too difficult. I had mine fixed under warranty and it took the mechanic about 10 minutes to disassemble, replaced the electronic switch, then reassemble. I watched him from a distance so couldn't see exactly what he did.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You've probably already solved this, but here's my experience:

I had this problem once. I was under the impression that something was stuck in the latch area (ie, a strap). The car thought the tailgate was open and would honk when I attempted to lock it.

I was able to open it by having someone pull on the outside (not too hard as to prevent them from pulling off the handle/trim) while I applied about 150lbs of force from the inside. It took everything I had but I was able to get it to pop open without damage.

After I opened the tailgate I couldn't find anything blocking the latch. The problem hasn't recurred. Strange.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the problem on our 2008 LR2 as well.. it would open with the key fob but not open with the rear hatch switch.

Dealer took 2 hours to diagnose and over a month to get the replacement switch. then another two hours to replace. OMG I could have done it my self in 1/2 hour.

Switch failed @ 28k wife driven and hatch used only at shopping excursions when items purchased wound not fit in back seat area.

Fortunately it was under warranty along with the rear end failure too.....

What a POS! We love it but it scares the hell out of our retirement, vehicle repair budget..............

CB

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I'm having the same problem with the LR2 HSE 2008 tailgate door and thinking latch is stuck in it. Given that it's sunday, I can't take it to a shop. Going to try kicking from inside later today, and will provide update if that works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

This problem occured to me today as well. I am wondering how to open the tailgate from the inside, can anyone describe what the procedure would be?

Latch is not reacting from any of the button, keyfob or emergency buttons on central unit.

Of course it's annoying not to be able to shut the car with the remote...

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1 Posts
yes, i know this is an old forum but it still doesn't have an answer.

Is there any way to open the tailgate manually? i can hear the it make a noise trying to open when pushing the button on the tailgate or using key fob or even the lock/unlock procedure. does anyone know where the wires are to get it open? is it cause they are broken? I've prayed back the lower plastic trim on the inside but can't remove it because it going around the latch.

I've searched the forums and youtube for about an hour and can't find anything helpful relating to this.

Thanks in advnace!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi
I followed the same u did
If u noticed small hole another side just stuck small plastic hit with small screw driver it will unlocked
This all happens due to spring failure that happened to me
Order the part and DIY save the tons of labour

·
Registered
4 Posts
Was hoping to find a solution on the forum as my rear latch won't open either. The actuator engages without opening the latch. Real frustrating that there isn't a manual way of opening it without having to tear apart the inside.

Still looking for a solution to this idiot of a problem:frown

·
2008 LR2
7 Posts
Fixed mine

Hey

08 LR2 SE here,

Latch wouldn't open trunk/hatch, figured the button itself was faulty.

I replaced the latch from one I found in a junkyard, solved the issue. Perhaps I was lucky.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts