Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my rover to a GM dealer who quoted me $750 to replace my A/C compressor when the LR dealer wanted $1800.

Honestly, I think I got a good deal because the I met the senior mechanic at the dealer through a Rat Rod show and he wants me to photograph his car for a poster.

while it was there getting the A/C looked at to verify the cause of my sweaty neck issue... he went ahead and wrote me a quote to fix my death wobble.

he also said he found a missing fuse that was giving me false o2 sensor errors.

After coming home tonight I notice the bills includes:

Lower ball joints ($110)
Upper ball joints ($120)
Inner tie rod ($179)

(prices do not include labor)

He said these prices also were for OE LR parts as the generics were not much less. Is this all I need for my death wobble?

I have seen many talk about replacing the whole control arms.. is that necessary? I bought this car used.. so im not sure they control arms have been replaced once already.

I am also getting my AC compressor and Alternator replaced... I went ahead and bought the new battery and brake switch and the thing still died on me last week. So he was saying that my alternator isn't working (even though the last tester I took it to said it was).

All that out the door including labor was $2450.

So, try to get the control arms with bushings (recommended part no.?) or is the upper/lower ball joints good enough?

·
Computer Nerd
802 Posts
The lower control arms are pretty cheap on amazon, complete with bushings and ball joints. Like $115 shipped. I've got a set that I need to put in mine. Maybe I'll do that this weekend....

·
Registered
207 Posts
Did anyone check control arms to see if bushings need to be replaced? The reason (usually) to buy the whole control arm and have it replaced is because the bushings can be frozen in and take a long time to remove, resulting in costing more. Unfortunately they don't usually find that our until its too late so many just buy whole new control arm.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Computer Nerd
802 Posts
It's not much more expensive to replace the whole arm. Less labor. And you get a brand new ball joint. That's why I bought the arm. (I've got more miles than most)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts