Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

LR3 Carfax Opinion

1K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  iconoclast 
#1 ·
So I'm going to test drive an LR3 today. Here's the link: 2007 Land Rover LR3 SE $12,977 | ksl.com
Dealer put new brakes and rotors on it. I've been researching LR for quite awhile but mainly for D2's. For the LR3 I've read reviews that are shockingly better than any year Disco. Main issues seem to be Control arm, tie rods, brake and tire wear, and some clogged rain gutter issues. I'd love to get as much up to date reviews from you all as possible please. AND the above link for the truck has a free carfax report link under the title of the page (at the top) if you want to check that out too. There are two concerns I found with it but would like some second third and fourth opinions if you wouldn't mind.

Thanks all

#2 ·
I've seen more than a few vehicles that had major accident repairs that had spotless Carfax reports.

There is no substitute for a qualified, independent pre-purchase inspection. This will tell you exactly what's right and wrong as well as give you an expert's assessment on not only how the vehicle was maintained, but how it was cared for by the previous owners. If you got fifty glowing reviews about the LR3, but the one you're looking at has major problems and was poorly maintained then those reviews don't matter.

The biggest objection to these inspections is "If they find something and I don't buy it I'm out the money". That makes about as much sense as being pleased you didn't waste the money on your last physical since your doctor found a brain tumor.

The LR3 is definitely a step beyond the D2 in terms of construction quality. But it's still a Rover. At that mileage, it will probably be needing alot, either now or soon. You have to assume most of what's on it are what came from the factory, like belts, hoses, shocks, etc.

#3 ·
07/15/2008 13,395
Marin Luxury Cars
Corte Madera, CA
415-460-4600
marinluxurycars.com
Maintenance inspection completed
15,000 mile service performed
Crankshaft main bearing replaced

I've seen them for less. It's disconcerting to see a crankshaft main bearing replaced at 13,395 miles. It has had four alignments performed in 100k, seems to be a theme in keeping with what everyone knows. The alarm system has had repairs/replacement twice as well, another theme.

#5 ·
Whats your opinion on it being a corporate car? Is that different than being a fleet car? As in "corporate" may be the owners personal car vs. a fleet where company allows employees to use the car?

07/10/2007 12 California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
San Francisco, CA Title issued or updated
First owner reported
Titled or registered as
corporate vehicle
Loan or lien reported

#6 ·
I noticed. IMHO if it was a fleet vehicle it was driven by someone senior because looking at the servicing there where some very detailed repairs done to it. If it was Joe Blow anybody and everybody driving it it wouldn't have showed in the servicing. I don't think it's big concern.

#7 ·
Doesn't matter who drove it. It matters how they drove it. That takes a knowledgeable eye to discern.

I've seen exotics listed for sale were listed as "One owner- NFL player Bob Somebody", typically at a premium price. To me, that's a red flag, not a plus.

BTW- This is a refreshing alternative- asking questions before the purchase. There are too many "I just bought a Rover and it's making this noise/these lights are on/etc. threads on here.

#11 ·
I'm definitely going to take it to a qualified person. I was wanting to see if there was something I could see was obviously wrong or worn so I could start a tally of fixes and see if it was worth even moving forward.
It drove soooo smooth and nice I loved it. It had new control arms replaced 20k miles ago according to receipts dealer has with car. Dealer did all new brakes and rotors and is having wheel bearings redone Monday which i could feel as I drive. So I'll proly take it to a shop for checking out Tuesday.

#12 ·
Should get a clean bill of health. If you buy it come on back.

#13 ·
If it starts and doesn't make any ugly noises, if it goes into gear crisply and immediately, if it drives without noticeable noises and vibrations, it may be OK. Or maybe not. There's no way to tell without looking. A dealer probably isn't going to put something out on the lot that isn't going to show well. They may have gotten that vehicle there by repairing each and every marginal item (highly unlikely), By throwing a few bucks at the glaring problems (likely), or doing what they can to mask the symptoms long enough for you to take title to it (also likely). It depends on the dealer. If the truck is sold AS IS, that tells you about their confidence in it. That being said, a dealer's 90/3000 warranty on a decade old used car probably doesn't cover much. And, it's only as good as the dealer's word. no one sues over $3000

The dealer has a file that has every record on the truck- including the work they did to it. Ask to see it. If it doesn't have something as simple as an oil change listed, then I don't have to tell you what kind of dealer it is. Look at the oil filter. Is it a no-name. If so, see previous comment.

Buying a used car is tough. Some want to avoid it altogether and buy new cars with warranties- or lease. Others go to franchised dealers and buy certified used cars with comprehensive warranties. Some can't afford those options and buy used cars from reputable places that offer warranties- these are places like franchised dealers or outfits like CarMax. Dealers like the one that has this LR3 go to auctions and buy cars to put on their lots. They don't sell the kinds of vehicles that people trade nice, clean cars in on so they have to go somewhere. The Rover you are looking at is on his lot for one of a variety of reasons. Maybe the dealer that took it on trade doesn't get the traffic for a Rover. Or maybe it wasn't in shape to suit their standards. Most vehicles are auctioned off because the dealer couldn't sell it within 90 days, which is a common requirement set by the dealer's owner upon the used car department. There may be a reason this car is at this lot that's important for you to find out before you buy it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.