Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
101 Posts
I don't believe they have any oil. On startup I think the compressor is topping off the air reservoir, so depending on how often and the gaps between startup it could run for 20 seconds or as long as a minute. If you've got no lights on the dash or suspension warning messages then I think you're okay :)

· Registered
242 Posts
Exactly. It's a dry cylinder for compression, and a simple DC motor for rotation. It should run occasionally, perfectly normal. If it starts to run longer and longer, or gets noticeably louder, or the light comes on, it's time to think about replacement.

· Registered
218 Posts
Actually...it seems most failures are due to the dessicant getting clogged due to breakdown or being flooded.

I bet 90% of the compressors get replaced when they could just stand to have their dessicant replaced. LR also sells an "air dryer replacement" for the compressor for $150-175 or so...which is a lot cheaper than a compressor.

· Registered
242 Posts
There is also a repair kit for the exhaust valve, but in the end, these compressors are not very good.

Now that the AMK unit is available, it is a much better repair then putting a bandaid on the Hitachi. Do it once, and be done with it, not rebuild the unit, wait for it to fail, run the risk of getting desiccant throughout the system causing sticking valves.

· Registered
60 Posts
Yep, the system is a dry system. Mine quit on me this weekend. After running all the tests mentioned on various forums, I removed the compressor this evening. The piston fits into some sort of nylon sleeve to create the seal against the cylinder wall.

BTW, does anyone have a compressor available that perhaps the motor has burned out? I ask because I need to replace the piston and piston rod part of my assembly. If anyone has a cylinder available, please PM me.

· Registered
242 Posts
For the Hitachi compressors, there is no visible difference in the compressor portion of the unit, piston/rod. I never took a micrometer to one, but they all look the same. I've seen many apart, and actually have one of the piston/rods as part of a key chain, buddy of mine would strip them to scrap the Cu and Al from the windings and housing.

· Registered
242 Posts
Yeah, reservoir is pretty exposed down there, but aside from damage that a plastic cover would not have done anything to prevent at all (ie lifting the truck by the tank, or bottoming out hard on a large rock) I have yet to see one fail due to a road hazard.

· Registered
60 Posts
Unfortunately, Eric was unable to help. He indicated they never go to the extent of disassembling the units to see what died.

Anyone else have an Hitachi unit that perhaps the motor has burned out on, that I can get the cylinder section from you…or perhaps just the piston and piston rod?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.