Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 LR3 SE V6 w/Coils & 2008 LR3 SE V8 HD w/ 2.5” rod lift
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Rover family! I have owned my 2005 LR3 since early 2007 and loved it. She’s sitting with an oil pan under the tranny and have decided to take a break from it. I recently purchased a one owner 2008 LR3 from a client of mine who has pampered It well. Seriously it’s one clean and garage-kept rover. My same mechanic has kept the 2008 in tip top shape since the dealer warranty ran out, what a blessing to know the original owner and life long mechanic!

On to the Roof rack... The original owner installed a Voyager 3/4 rack and ladder in 2008 when she bought the truck. A few months before I bought it, she forgot to lower the suspension in a parking garage and whacked the rack on the concrete beam over head. Well she bent the under-supported flanges that attach to the “feet“ of the rack. Those feet were really loose steel tubes covering a M6 bolt that went all the way down into the roof under the factory rails. Those rails have a false bottom and a gap from there to the welded bolt on the body/frame under the rails. These are the same bolt attachement points that hold the rails on the truck. So, when she hit the garage roof, the bolts bent, the steel tubes twisted the false bottom in the real/track, and bent the poor excuse for a mounting flange on the roof rack. It also cracked the glass roof, but that’s for another thread.

So I have removed the rack, dropped it off at my local metal fabricator, and now are looking at better ways to attach the rack to the truck.

The simple thing to do is widen the hole in the false floor of the track so the new, welded, foot sits at the bottom of the track and can be more snug to the roof of the truck. I really wish the attachment bolt in the frame/roof was more substantial, but we are not doing that kind of surgery at this phase... I have bigger tires and upgraded breaks to purchase first.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Photo: Our first adventure with the 2008 LR3 to Glacier Mountain on the Saints John Loop near Montezuma Colorado, near 13,000 feet here in the photo,

·
very disco
1,477 Posts
I temporarily had a rack on my RRS, and the rack attached in the same manner.

what I did was place steel plates beneath the track and inside the track, so that even though the long screw went from top to bottom, there was no air gap, and it was all metal from top to bottom. The steel plates were about 1.5” long and maybe 5/8” wide, to spread any torsion out.

I never tested it with gear, but I’m 180lbs and I was on it and confident.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
@HOUM_WA.... Well there is a reason the 2005 has not been shipped off for parts harvesting, but with a $4000 transmission rebuild due and a host of other things to get it back on the road, let alone the trails, we will let it chill for the rest of the year. And since I’ve got the 2008 as a confident daily driver, I can take my time and build the 2005 as a true overland vehicle.

However this roof rack has got to get secured properly as the family of 6 is taking the 08 to Estes Park in a month and the rack will be loaded with luggage and gear since we all know the LR’s don’t have much room for gear below when all 7 seats are deployed and in use.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I temporarily had a rack on my RRS, and the rack attached in the same manner.

what I did was place steel plates beneath the track and inside the track, so that even though the long screw went from top to bottom, there was no air gap, and it was all metal from top to bottom. The steel plates were about 1.5” long and maybe 5/8” wide, to spread any torsion out.

I never tested it with gear, but I’m 180lbs and I was on it and confident.
That’s a great solution... certainly appreciate it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts