Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just had my disco picked up for service and the dealer gave me a lr3 as a loaner. i wanted to try her out, see what kind of capabilities it has vs the disco. was driving past a development, which had a huge drainage ditch/ lots of very steap hills covered in 5 inches of snow. thought it would be a pretty good place to try her out. Entered the drainage area, things were going pretty well until i became horribly boged down and was completely stuck. mud up to the axle. Some guy with a jeep drove by and offered to winch me out, which was greatly appreciated. the winching processes was going well until the police showed up... 3 of them. they werent to happy about the whole situation to say the least. anyway, we were ale to get the lr3 out after about a half hour and now i am facing possible trespassing and vandalism charges. not such a great day.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh yeah, i gave the guy who winched me out a $20. he got a little pissed that i didnt give him more. i know it would have costed me a lot more it i had called a tow truck, bit he voluntered and i only had a $20. sorry i keep talking about this. just a little pissed/venting about this whole situation

·
2,986 Posts
Well unfortunately it is the risk that you take while offroading on private property.. In the rare occasion I go wheeling locally, where there is absolutely no legal land.. we end up having to sneak in at midnight w/ no lights on.. and then be careful.. but if I get caught, i'm ready to face the fines and hope that I don't lose my license [yes, i've seen it happen].

As for the $20 bucks, the guy should have been appreciative.. I've been called out of my house late at night, to go help people get unstuck that I didn't even know.. Hell, I even broke my winch a few months ago doing it.. and I've never gotten anything in return.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
That sucks man.....Cops here were weird for awhile...There was a great place to go wheel a few blocks from my house...They would let you wheel all you wanted....But if you got stuck they'd ticket you.....I was glad I had my rover....

That's a bummer that happend to you man.....

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Offering to help someone and then getting offended at not getting money is bad karma.
Taking a loaner vehicle, driving it on private property, getting it stuck to the axles in mud and complaining about the cops and someone else's attitude about not getting enough money to pull you out is also bad karma.
You'll get what you deserve.

·
Registered
734 Posts
DiscoSE03 said:
i never said it wasnt a stupid idea. just thought i would share a story. afterall isnt that what this forum is for?
It is what the forum is for as far I see it. We all do things that in hindsight probably were not the brightest thing to do.......... :drink1:

I would not worry about your Karma............ ;)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
DiscoSE03 said:
i never said it wasnt a stupid idea. just thought i would share a story. afterall isnt that what this forum is for?
hey, stupid is as stupid does. ;) the best stories are often precipitated by a lack of forethought. as long as you escape without hurting yourself or, more importantly, anyone else, no harm done. just a lesson learned. i say, thanks for sharing! :drink1:

·
Registered
302 Posts
GriffSC said:
hey, stupid is as stupid does. ;) the best stories are often precipitated by a lack of forethought.
Or preceded by any of the following quotes: "Hey y'all, watch this!!" "Hey, put your seatbelt on for a second..." "You may want to hang on to the "Oh ****" handle... Oh ****, I don't have any :eek: " Or my personal favorite, "Lets see if this works..."

:drink1:

·
Registered
734 Posts
DiscoTex said:
Or preceded by any of the following quotes: "Hey y'all, watch this!!" "Hey, put your seatbelt on for a second..." "You may want to hang on to the "Oh ****" handle... Oh ****, I don't have any :eek: " Or my personal favorite, "Lets see if this works..."

:drink1:
Or if your passenger decides to throw out............

"Bet it's not as deep as it looks"
"Bet you can't make it"
"Come on, just give some more gas"
"My Mom could make it up that!"
"What......are you chicken?"

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
question, if someone were to winch you out of somewhere using a strap (no recovery points on the lr3) is it at all possible to bend the frame? has anyones truck ever gotten messed up by winching? just wondering, because the dealership is saying i bent the frame, or something along those lines, which i am having a hard time believing (the cops called them). :complain: :complain: :complain: :complain: :complain: :complain: :complain: :complain:

·
2,986 Posts
DiscoSE03 said:
question, if someone were to winch you out of somewhere using a strap (no recovery points on the lr3) is it at all possible to bend the frame? has anyones truck ever gotten messed up by winching? just wondering, because the dealership is saying i bent the frame, or something along those lines, which i am having a hard time believing (the cops called them). :complain: :complain: :complain: :complain: :complain: :complain: :complain: :complain:
How did you hook the strap up? The LR3 actually does have two recovery points.. on the front, remove the valance and there is a loop in the center... on the rear remove the rear-access piece and there is a recovery point there...

·
Registered
590 Posts
DiscoSE03 said:
LOL.

Do you have "Prepaid Legal"?

If I were you, I would send letters to the 3 cops that turned "puto" on you.
Thank them for teaching you a valuable lesson about getting caught.
Tell them that for now on, you will make sure that all illegal happenings in your power will go un noticed by the PoPo.

Sighned, You.

Sounds like the cops are wound pretty tight where you live. :confused

·
Registered
128 Posts
Every other post is one of you guys bitching how much dealer service costs. What the ****. Here's a clown that took a $50,000 truck that did not belong to him out on land that did not belong to him and beat the snot out of it. If it were my truck, you can bet your ass I'd want the fuzz to hip me to the scene.
I highly doubt the frame is bent, it's a very beefy piece. However, the dealership eats the cost of repairs. It has to rent another car to replace the one that is now no longer in service. It has to take the loss on the repaired vehicle when it's sold. Yes, there's insurance to cover catastrophic costs, but it is used very seldom, as it greatly affects rates. It never covers **** for diminished value.
This is one of the expenses that is covered by the higher service costs at the dealer. Remember that as you're trying to save $50 on a brake job next time.

·
2,986 Posts
I generally try bite my tongue when I see stupidity.. but frick is absolutely right... This is the reason why, when I go to my dealership, I have to PAY to rent a car, which is generally a mini-van.

Also, a lot of people seem to be missing out on the whole "TREAD LIGHTLY" philosphy... As someone who actually enjoys offroading a lot.. I get upset when I see people doing idiotic things that makes the public/police upset with offroaders.

Stick to designated trails or private property with permission. Don't cut across medians or blaze your own trails. Yes, it's fun... you have a truck that is capable of jumping a curb and avoiding traffic.. but to me, thats just as idiotic as the motorcyclers who blaze down the middle of traffic with no regards.

Your actions has consequences.. first off, to yourself, which you are seeing now.. but think about the consequences it has to the rest of us when the politicians see us as reckless vandals.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.