Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back after a day in the desert with the new LR3.

A few shortcomings mainly linked to the damn air suspension, but on the whole very impressive and better than the new Range Rover off road.

I will be doing a write up on it for ME4x4 website as soon as I can and will post the link here.

In the meantime ......

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Interesting review. I did not realize the LR3 had an electronic ( :eek: ) emer. brake. I would think that a very dangerous proposition as system failure on the trail could be catastrophic (particularly in CO). I guess the reality is very few of these will ever see the hard core trails, so the systems are probably adequate for most buyers expectations/needs. While there has been much criticism of the LR3 in wheeling circles, I think it's unfair. The vehicle fills a niche & will likely sell well...already seeing many in Colo. The question is not what's wrong with LR3, from a wheelers perspective,,,, that's obvious. But rather: when will LR (will LR) come out with a true trail rig platform for the US market, whether it's a Defender or something new? The answer to that question will likely define LRs identity, at least in the NA market, in the 21st century.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SCSL,

I guess we are moving into an area that avionics tackled years ago when "fly by wire was introduced" which is a lot more risky at 35,000 ft compared to something failing at ground level.

However I agree with you on the handbrake. An all out failure of electrics will require some redundant system to ensure that safety is still maintained and a runaway vehicle will not occur.

I prefer mechinical things, at least if they fail there is some chance they can be fixed on the trail

·
4,576 Posts
Mr. Smith, thank you for that. Again, great pictures and I just CANNOT believe you found that cap..haha. Anyway, I'm with you on the Mechanical things. I've come to just about the same conclusion as you have. Capable off-road vehicle, but just that, "Capable"; and like you said, Way to expensive to be a true off-roader and you would need to have one of those UniCat trucks follow you arround incase you ever damaged anything out on the trail. I love my D1's 90% mechanicalness and 10% computerizationess ( Webster, eat your heart out :D )

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Searcaigh said:
SCSL,

I guess we are moving into an area that avionics tackled years ago when "fly by wire was introduced" which is a lot more risky at 35,000 ft compared to something failing at ground level.

However I agree with you on the handbrake. An all out failure of electrics will require some redundant system to ensure that safety is still maintained and a runaway vehicle will not occur.

I prefer mechinical things, at least if they fail there is some chance they can be fixed on the trail
Funny you should use that example. My father was a pilot, and all his friends were pilots. When I was a kid our neighbor was a pilot. I remember him poo-pooing fly-by-wire at the time, saying (about 20 years ago) in a very sarcastic voice: "Fly by wire?? Phhh! You can fly it by wire!"

I never want to be taken as someone who "disses" the LR3 simply because it's new, or simply because it's very technological. It's just a simple fact that, from the hard wheeling perspective, it's not really designed for off-roading. Which is FINE,,, doesn't mean it's a bad truck,,in fact it's very luxurious, etc. Just that it's sad to be witnessing the death of Land Rover off-road heritage & mystique... :bawling:

·
Registered
229 Posts
not to bash but i have driven all the new rovers and well they are becoming more soccer mom oriented rather than off road worthy...maybe they will surprize us and come up with a completely insane new off road rig

·
94 Defender 90
1,073 Posts
I was just thinking, couldn't you just hit the freeze button for the air suspension in the Off-Road mode? Wouldn't that stop it at that level. I'd have to go out and check my mother's to see if they have this. I don't know why it wouldn't though. That would probably solve the problem of it dropping down when going faster than it desires you to go in Off-Road mode.

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Another thing about LR3s I've noticed lately,,,,, NO LOVE. I get no love from LR3 drivers if I flash lights or wave. They look at me like I'm a weirdo (which I might be but that's not the point :D ) On the other hand, I get crazy love from Disco & Defender drivers in Colo.

I think the LR3 represents a cultural divide between most new Rover owners & those who came to the DI & even DII models. The upside for Ford is more revenue on a higher purchase price & repair costs down the road. The downside is a break with the tradition of the past that may come back to haunt them as the brand merges in the minds of consumers with the sea of other 'SUV' brands out there. ie: in the absence of the history of the marque, what makes an LR3 significantly different to a new potential customer than a Land Cruiser, an Escalade, or an H2 ???

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think Ford has just pissed Land Rover down the drain for some extra cash. I work for a Land Rover Dealership and think that its all come down the shits, my fellow co-workers in the parts dept also concur. and the techs there, the salesmen and managers dont really give much of a hoot, but eh, what do they know. It sad to see that the country where off-roading and 4-wheeling has the least amount of access to the wide variety of vehicles available for such a thing. Whats more disheartening is going 4-wheeling and seeing a bunch of people with H2's and escalades thinking they are the kind of the road and not minding their manners on a trail. sigh......... whats this world coming too. LR3 aint half bad, just wish we could put some springs in the sucker and have the spare inside the cargo area just like the Range Rover, but then it would negate the third row, and well ford needs SUV's with a 3rd row.

·
Respectable Member
3 Posts
Greetings to all, this is my first post over here, so please be gentle :rolleyes: .

This year I finally bought a 4x4. I've been wanting one for years, but nothing out there really got my attention. I can only have one vehicle, so it had to be capable on and off-road, comfortable, bla, bla, bla...

When last year I first read about the new Discovery coming up, I thought: "wait a minute, true LR, new technologies, maybe the time has come".

Now, a lot of people think "too much plastic, too much electronics, too heavy, too expensive... that's not true LR". And they're probably right. But times change, life goes on, and whether we like it or not, nobody can afford to put out a new model without plastic and electronics. OK, it's loaded with stuff so it has to be heavy, and that stuff makes it expensive. Too bad. I looked for a new model that convinced me, not just an SUV, and the LR3 did it.

I'm new in this arena, and I know most of you like it the "real way". I also like being able to fix my own stuff, but all car makers are against it, so unless you are a good mechanic and you keep your old wheels like new, you don't have much choice. I drove this car through places I never would have takan any other vehicle (including my mountain bike), and I like it more each day.

So you got my love if you cross my way! I hope making the cars easier to drive does't make their drivers lose respect for the experience, for other people, or for the environment.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Well said, Blue, and welcome aboard. Unfortunately, I think we and you will find that you are/will be the exception to the rule with respect to the LR3. I suppose geography could make difference in terms of the buyer's state of mind, but since most folks live in suburbia, it's inevitable that the birth of the LR3 (and even the RR Sport for that matter) will mean the demise of the LR mystique.

Where I come from, everything is about image. The H2 (and now H3), Escalade, Denali, Cayenne, Toureg and even Tahoe/Yukon drivers are so busy trying to keep up with the Joneses that if you aren't driving what they're driving, you better get the "F" outta the way. The LR3 is the next entry in the "everybody-look-at-me" market. No offense to you, Blue, or other folks who see this vehicle for what it is but are also aware of its ancestry (at least the LR part) and are willing to put it through its paces.

I have no doubt the LR3 is what you say it is. Indeed, my wife and I even considered buying one to replace her D1. However, in retrospect, and after really embracing the LR frame of mind (largely through this site), I am quite at peace with our decision to forego that purchase. Like SCSL and many of our other LROF brothers, I think I'll wait for the release of a more suitable vehicle from the LR/Ford stable.

·
Registered
69 Posts
RickyRover said:
LR3 aint half bad, just wish we could put some springs in the sucker and have the spare inside the cargo area just like the Range Rover, but then it would negate the third row, and well ford needs SUV's with a 3rd row.
It can be done, well at least here in Panama. I was talking with a friend that works at the Land Rover dealer the other day and we where discussion about all the electronics that the LR3 (Discovery 3, in Latin American Countries) has and the suspension. So I find out that if some one wants to purchase a LR3 (again here in Panama) you can practically custom order them, they way you want, what do I mean by this, well you can order a LR3 with out the fancy air leveling suspension replacing it with good old fashion springs, manual transmission and the TD6 engine, cloths seats, etc making the LR3 less electronic and in a way more off-road friendly, Also making the LR3 less expensive, around $35,000 - $37,000 USD which is the price for a brand new 2005 Defender 110 (Yes, here in Panama) :cool: .

Peter

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sigh........... Yes and like you said there in Panama........ Here in the United States the Land Rover name is somewhat synonymous with the upper echelon and high class. Most people who you would mention Land Rover to here in the States do not recognize its off-road heritage. Working at a dealership you don't see too many enthusiast buying any new Rovers, mostly parts and old rover Trade Ins that they want to turn into a project vehicle. I just hope that new defender they are planning to release in 2008 does justice to the Land Rover name.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How many of you even own LR3's let alone take them off-road, and I mean really off-road, rocks, mud, ruts, the kind of where if you take it wrong you don't get stuck, you roll.

I have.

MY 2005 Buckingham Blue w/Alpaca leather LR3 HSE has almost half of it's 2000 miles off road, I got it in August. I have also roaded in Disco I & II's, Jeeps, Toyotas, Fords, Gm's, etc. I learned how to drive while roading with my Dad back when there were still places to get dirty within the San diego Ca. city limits.

I have never seen, been in, or owned a vehicle like the LR3. It takes horribly rutted washboarded narrow winding trails and makes them smooth. It climbs over, up, through, and down anything on the highway tires! I took it though the middle of a mud bog, buried it up to top of the tires and the sucker just pulled right through like nothing! True the spare is in the wrong place, which is why I move it when I'm leaving the pavment. The air suspension dropping at speed is fine with me, cause if I need the ground clearance I can't really go much faster than 10-20 mph.

The electronics are all made by Bosch not Land Rover. Land Rover simply supplies Bosch with the specs and software coding. This is a big part of what Ford has done to make Land Rover competitive. As far as the air supension, this is another thing that Ford has done to LR's benifit. Think about it everybody from Mercedes to toyota is using air suspension now, but only Ford has been doing it for the last 50 or more years. I'm not saying it's perfect but it does have distinct advantages over coil springs. If you read the manual you would learn that the emergency brake does have a manual override in case of failure of the either the E. brake system, or failure of the regular braking system (in case you have to use the E. brake to stop or slow down from speed). Also drive-by-wire allows for the throttle opening to change from aggressive to subtle instatly based on the terrain settings giving you the best possible power deliver for any given situation, you can not have that with a wired throttle. As for the drive system failing, please, the 97 VW Passat had the same system, this is not new technology people.

Think about it, the car goes from comfortable, manuverable (compared to any other SUV of its size) people carrier, to mountain goat with the flick of a switch. How can you complain about that?

Anybody who doubts the LR3's abilty and lives in Southern Ca. let me know when you want me to prove you wrong, all it will take is a one day trip out to Anza/Borrego. Give me 8 hours and I'll show you why 3 is better than 2.

BTW I have some photos of the 3 off road under the pics heading at my website
www.oldscratchyrecords.com. They aren't the best pictures, when I do the hairy stuff my nephew stays inside (where its fun!) so there is nobody to take the photo, but they give an idea.

Oh, and as far as Ford going after Land Rover because they make so much cash, LR has not turned a profit in a VERY long time which is why LR sold to BMW years ago, and then BMW sold to Ford. Ford bought Land Rover because they think they can make it profitable not because it is. Yes they did have to get a 3rd row seating SUV to do this, but they did not trarnish the off-roadability of the SUV in any meaningful way by doing this. Really they made it better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, it's my first time posting, so if I inadvertantly step on anyone's toes, I apologies in advance.

I have been reading your comments over the past month as I tried to make an informed decision on the purchase of my next car. Well I finally decided to buy an LR3 SE, Turbo Diesel, Buckingham Blue, 7 seater, and will take delivery in a couple of weeks. :lol: Since I live in Australia, our specs for an SE seem to be quite different from the states.

It took me 10 months to choose this SUV (I was going to call it a car, but somehow that doesn't seem right), I tried the ML, X5, X3, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Touareg, XC90, everything Nissan, Honda, Toyota and Subaru had to throw in, plus just to check out of the box, and to make sure I wasn't being a brand whore, I even checked the range of Korean made SUVs.

Some came close to the LR3 in on-road handling, the x5 was even better (but I don't like a ride that's so hard your posterior hurts after 5 minutes), some had a heap more gimmicks and toys (my SE has functional toys - air suspension and zenon lights - but no dvd, sat nav, etc) but none seem to come close as far as off road ability. :D

I choose the LR3, not so I could be a super hero in the bush (off road), I doubt I have the guts or ability to even get close to using 80% of it's ability, but more that when I go and see the Australian outback next year, I will an suv whose capabilities outstrip mine, so as to keep my family safe. But you know what, I'm still really looking forward to getting the car dirty and seeing that 80%.

I've always been a bit of a speed freak, always having owned sports cars of some kind, but with draconian mother state speed policing that we now suffer under, it seems pointless to have a fast car. The only thrills now available legally are to challenge yourself off road, which is much more sedate, but a whole lot more exciting than following a white line at 60mph for 10 hours. :rolleyes:

Thank you Cephas for your photos and what you had to say. It inspires me to know it can be done, and that there are others willing to drive this car off road. :clap:

Ref PanamaDisco: we can also pretty much customize the car we want, you just pay full retail and have to wait a few months. But it's possible here as well - Diesel, manual, spring suspension, wind up windows and no electronics etc.

Ref 7 seats, It was quite a deciding factor for my wife and I. We wanted a real 4 x 4, but needed space for our dogs, kid on the way, and my elderly parents who don't drive at night (night vision is bad) so we always have to drive them when we go out for dinner. Plus the rest of the extended family.

Ref under wheel spare/small gas tank: the sales at my local dealer told me ARB should have a rear swing frame spare wheel holder available soon for the LR3, and I contacted on of the aftermarket gas tank fabricators, and I am just waiting for his quote to fabricate a second fuel tank where the spare wheel goes. This should boost fuel capacity from 80 litres to about 160 litres I thinks that's 40 gallons. That should get me about 1000miles per tank for cruising in the outback. (I'll need that kind of range).

Ref baby seat: stupid question. Does anyone know if the LR3 seats are ISOFIX compatible? As I said above kid on the way!

Anyways, thanks for your postings below, and any comments about the above, or problems experienced with their LR3, I would appreciate it

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
Do you mean the ability to have a babyseat in the back yes,

Its safety standard on all vehicles in the US.

But you cant turn off the front airbag so you will have to put them in the back.

oh by the way what state are you from anyway.

I am moving in SA, at the end of Summer in February.

Actually Adelaide. Got some friends down there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Beezel. Sorry I haven't responded sooner, I've been on the road for work this past couple of weeks.

I knew about the front passenger airbag. When I was shopping around one of the LR3's I was shown by a local dealer was what they call an ADR vehicle, which means it was one of the original 10 or so imported to Australia for the authorities to check if it met all Australian standards. (I didn't buy it).

It was interesting though as it was a UK spec SE, with a heck of a lot more toys than what ours get, including heated cloth seats, front windscreen, and also everything else in the options box. I did some research and it showed the cars were all registered at the same time, so had the same prefix letters and consecutive numbers 01 through to 09. The one I was shown was 06. Funny enough all other numbers showed up in newspaper and magazine articles except 06. So I think this was the one that was wrung through to within an inch of it's life, to satisfy the authorities that it could do what LR says it could do.

One of the features it had was an ability to switch off the front passenger airbag. The switch was still there, with just a sticker to notify that it was illegal to switch it off in Australia, and the sales guy spent much time insisting that if I bought the car I would have to abide by the law??! :dunno:

The big let down was that it was already a year old, had done 20000k and had many things that were irreplaceable and uninsurable in Australia (like the heated front glass and preheat engine starter for cold climates). Also LR wouldn't extend the warranty (they must know something :shifty: ). In the end I went for a demo with 100k on the clock, half the options and a full warranty.

I used to own a VW, and those cars had a system called isofix, which enabled certain baby seats to just slot in and be captured by the seat back, without all the usual rigging. I was just wondering if the LR3 had the same. But since I will be picking my new LR3 on Wednesday morning :buttrock: , I'll just have to check it myself, I'll plenty of time for that over the next few years.

I'm based in Sydney, NSW.

Adelaide's a lovely place and if you like wine, the choices are fantastic. Though February could be quite hot! :drink1:

What brings you over to our corner of the world?

All the best! :wave: Julian

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.