Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

Considering a purchase of a LR3 and would like to get a little more light in the front of the vehicle. There are driving lamps available from LR for this, for those of you who have seen them are they any good? Perform well? Worth it? Look like they are worthy of the car they are attached to?

Thanks!

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
perhaps they are, but either way they are not worth it....

If they are based off the warn SDB-210...then think about it....its still only 210,000 candlepower....vs. what....1,000,000 candlepower from a lightforce 240 blitz with non-longlife 100watt bulbs. ....for a driving light, the hellas would rock, and be way more cost effective.

· Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
The LR ones are mounted on top of the bullbar, Using WDS they also integrate the lites into the system so its easier to use and very little wiring.

Also all LR extra equipment that is installed at time of delivery is automatically given a 4 year fifty thousand mile warranty along with the factory warrantee.

Basically if your lite bulb stops working you get new one under warrantee.

If there is any trouble with install you get it fixed for free.

If you get aftermarket and there is any problem they will charge you thru the nose will going aftermarket.

Oh and lastly when you do buy all of this stuff you can take five years to pay it off without additional interest on your credit card.

Remember it is attached to your loan so its cheaper in the long run.

2,437 Posts
oh if you want the best deal for your money get the HSE with the cold weather package and the electronic lockable rear end.

best part is you get a free spare for it. Its a 625 value. the rim and tire alone is around five fifty which really makes it a deal.

The lockable by itself if you could get it is around four hundred.

Great savings get the HSE with the lockable rear end. If you live in cold climates the cold weather package is a must.

Otherwise you miss out on heated windscreens and heated seats.

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Beezel......I just looked it up and they are $590, minus the mounting brackets. Dude....you cannot possibly tell me that this is a better deal.....what it comes down to is how much money do you want to save for the product.

Hella 500's are just as good as these....at least damn close. There is no way in hell that these $590 LR lights (minus the bracket of course) are better then anything of the same cost. For $590 you could get two Lightforce XGT zenon-bulb 1,000,000 candlepower lamps....plus two wide filters, and that includes the shipping and tax. There is no way that these LR lights are that good.....expecially because the XGTs are way not street legal.

You could buy nearly EIGHT whole sets of hella 500s, including the wiring, for that price. For that much savings, you could just keep replacing hellas....if you needed too....people wheel the crap out of those and they do great. Others also switch out the 55watt bulbs with 100watts, and upgrade the wiring....something you can do with some basic electronic knowledge and about $10 at radioshack for wiring, plus $20 for bulbs (which are probably not even that much).

Again, unless you think it is worth it to pay $590 for the LR lights and for them to wire them up....then I would go with Hella 500s and save yourself $515..

I have to add this here....having lights wired into the system is not preferable to many off-roaders....thats not to say normal people would want it....but I like to use my lights without running the motor sometimes....for example looking at a map with a group.

2,437 Posts
Actually the funniest part about Aftermarket stuff is its useless after stuff breaks or gets updated, Then you have to buy all new stuff and rewire everything.

Now if you get the LR stuff when you buy the car whats really funny is we give you neat things like rentals and stuff and fix the car free of charge the first fifty thousand miles on the vehicle. Especially if you buy it from the same dealer you are getting it fixed at.

Now whats cool to is the lights are warrantee able that can be transferred to the next owner.

I dont know about you but my money goes on the LR stuff. Why well first off its all paid off in the loan, Secondly its cheaper payment instead of going ot your high interest credit card. Third no extra payment. Gas aint getting any cheaper. So why you are paying for the loan and the insurance and gas, you can have fun without extra payments on your credit card. IN fact with the warrantee you will have so much extra covered.

Listen Keptin, I understand you havent had the opportunity to buy a brand new Rover at a dealership. But trust me go to a service manager and ask him what are the real benefits to customers who buy cars from that dealership. No not Rover owners, loyal dealer customers. These guys will tell you the same thing. We give you the world. You get rentals, invites to special events, all sorts of freebies and preferential treatment.

Dealers suck up alot if your a loyal customer. And they give less if you are not. Now if you spend money with them it will definitely help as a service customer.

If you buy those aftermarket lites they wont even bother.

If they are LR and they are causing a problem they will go the distance.

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
sry beezel...I cant relate....my dealer sucks....no events, no extras, nothing. My uncle bought a P38 from them....good car, horrible service....yeah sure rentals, but thats about it...only disco rentals too, no RRs or anything 'great'.

Are you are suggesting that you would have to have your rover sitting in a garage if the hella 500's you bought didnt work? Perhaps in some cases I can agree, but in this one, I stick firm with that is a major rip-off. I dont see how you could ever get yours money's worth out of $590 fog/driving lamps that are equivelent to $75 lamps....just dont see it. Bulbs? bulbs are cheap....they break? yeah...because they are attached to the ECU.....you might only be able to use them with high/low beams......I only see disadvantages to using these factory lights in this case.

Lets just agree to disagree......no need to make a 100 post thread out of it. I do understand your point....though I cant see how in this exact instance how it would be worth it.

2,437 Posts
Actually few dealerships use discos as Rentals. IT makes more business sense to use Hertz especially if it owned by FOrd. Cheaper in the long run.

Trust me LR doesnt say we have to give Rentals to everyone. But Dealerships will pick up alot if the customer bought the car from them.
its about loyalty. Even in other manufacturers dealerships they wont give you a rental unless its emergency and even then you better be a loyal customer.

If your are out of warrantee then unfortunately they cant do anything for you. And aftermarket warrantee companies wont pay anything.

Besides who cares if you get a minivan or Focus if you have to have a car to go to work or get the groceries. NO way in hell are we going to let customers take our Discos off road. Especially people that abuse the privilege.

And some people dont even need rentals, They just get a ride to work and back or ride to the airport and the dealership arranges for them to get picked up.

· Registered
249 Posts
beezel said:
The LR ones are mounted on top of the bullbar, Using WDS they also integrate the lites into the system so its easier to use and very little wiring.

Doesn't the LR3 have some sort of "plug and play" adapters already built in. My '95 RRC has them and it only took me a half an hour to install the 500.

2,437 Posts
For Land Rover equipment yes.

Everything including Trailer wiring has a connector that you plug in and away you go.

The pain in the ass part is getting to it.

· Registered
22 Posts
In my oppinion, if you're looking for fine fog lamps, what you qualify is how good do they perform their job as fog lamps, if you think of fuctionality.

Of course economical and guarranty advantages are important, but I personally think that -790000cp for $200 more... :thinkerg: if it'll be me, I'll take the Hella's.

If you have priorities with stetics, LR will look better than Hella's (in a summer morning, when you don't need them) but maybe you'll miss the real superior performance of Hella's when you'll have to take your wife's mother to her house, after a fine dinner in a very snowy winter night.

A matter of tastes and real needs.

· Registered
1,971 Posts
I had a set of those same lamps on my Freelander and I have a set of them on my G4 Disco. They are decent lamps, definately better than a Hella 500. However, I think a set of Hella FF1000's are about equal to the Land Rover lamps. You can get them cheaper if you shop around somewhere other than the dealer. I think I paid $200 for my first pair.

· Registered
659 Posts
these lamps aren't great i have a set on my LR3. You have to turn the brights on to activate them and plus their not that bright. I would go with a set of hella 4000 compacts. Thats what I am probaly going to put on my roofrack.

· Registered
22 Posts
I think factory doesn't want to offer "outstanding brightness" equipments for "safety reasons". I think they don't want to be compromised for eventual accidents caused by "exessive brightness" that their products could have, so they stick to the safest, and try to void possible legal repercutions, people will buy their products anyway. That's what happen with plastic off road bumpers that doesn't offer real performance, but only looks, and 500hp cars with 250kph speed limiters.
The only way to get a super performance machine, is to build it yourselve.

· Registered
1,971 Posts
There's a D.O.T. limit to the power of lamps and in what combinations they can be used. Those L.R. brand lamps are nice, legal and better than cheap Hella 500's. I did notice that the FF1000 has a very similar beam pattern and brightness for a lot less money.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.