Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2008 LR3 SE. The guy before me said the battery will just die - while driving and letting it sit. I replaced the alternator with the OEM original and that took care of the battery light on the dashboard. But the battery would still die after sitting 1-2 days.

I ran a draw test - setting at 10amp. I am drawing 3.12 amp I guess if I am reading this right. I thought the draw should be .012 when off. I removed the radio and the draw went down to .66. But then I was noticing different fuses pulling a little here and a little there and some .5 or higher - mostly related to the radio for the higher pulls. Well this didn't make sense to me - many fuses pulling a draw.

I decided to compare to my 2006 full size range rover. On that car (much more electronics) it is pulling 3.6 amps while off. I have NEVER had a battery die on that car and it has sat for a week or so without starting.

So now I'm beginning to wonder if this is normal with these cars and that the battery I have is just bad. It is a new battery but was being used for a week with the older bad alternator. Perhaps that alternator destroyed it. I will have auto zone check it but I'm wonder if the battery Autozone gave me isn't compatible with these cars. I heard interstate batteries should be used.

Anyone experience this before?

· Registered
388 Posts
I have...and I did some things which seem to have helped but I am not completely sure.

1. Check your negative battery cable. I've read that those can get loose or get a not-so-good ground.
2. Check all your fuses and your relays after the car has gone "to sleep." That takes about 30 minutes.
3. I changed my EAS relay. That was about the only change I made besides ensuring that I had a good battery, meaning I replaced the battery because the other one had been drained pretty deep and I wanted to rule it out as a causal factor.

Good luck, please let us know what you find out.

· Registered
1 Posts
I also have a similar problem. My Lr3 2009 4.0 petrol SOHC Ford Cologne engine has been draining the battery the last one year.
Changed the battery 2 times to no avail.
You can't park the car for more than 14 hrs,it won't start.
Is this common with Rovers?

· very disco
3,025 Posts
Yes. Likely a drain, underperforming charging system, or bad battery. Or ghosts.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also have a similar problem. My Lr3 2009 4.0 petrol SOHC Ford Cologne engine has been draining the battery the last one year.
Changed the battery 2 times to no avail.
You can't park the car for more than 14 hrs,it won't start.
Is this common with Rovers?
Did you ever find a solution? I have sent this car to Land Rover 5 times costing over $6k replacing part after part which has done nothing. I just picked it up for the 5th time after the dealer had it 7 months this last time - promising to fix it on their dime, however, they claim they cannot reproduce it. I have valid reasons to believe they don't care and they haven't tried. I am almost certain that I will experience this issue again after letting it sit for a day. But to answer your question - no it is not common and should NEVER happen. Yet one of the LR tech guys told me that even if you start the car and turn it off that could drain the battery to a point where the car will stay awake and drain the rest of the way down. I told him not to insult my intelligence and that if ANYONE built cars that way they would be out of business within a week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts