Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this drive shaft rebuildable? I am getting a high pitch squeak from under the middle/rear of the truck. The squeak has a frequency of about 4 x the revolution of the rear wheel.
The ring and pinion ratio is 3.74:1
The squeak only occurs while applying the brakes and can only be heard from 5-0 mph, just before stopping.

Also, I jacked up the rear with the trans in neutral, rotated the driveshaft by rotating the rear wheel and had no squeak. Could it just be the brakes? I hope so!
The diff runs fine, oil looks good, oil just been replaced.
I have no vibration, all is well but :helpthe annoying squeak.
2006 LR3
98000 miles
Your thoughts?

· Registered
242 Posts
I would start by popping off the heatshield, there are a few harnesses(electrical, fuel vapor, and EPB release cable) that run right along the driveshaft that may have come loose, and started making contact.

The only failures I have seen have been with the center carrier bearing, and the front/t-case side CV joint. Both with excessive play, causing knocking or vibration.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would start by popping off the heatshield, there are a few harnesses(electrical, fuel vapor, and EPB release cable) that run right along the driveshaft that may have come loose, and started making contact.

The only failures I have seen have been with the center carrier bearing, and the front/t-case side CV joint. Both with excessive play, causing knocking or vibration.
Thanks for the feedback! I will pull the heat sheild and look.
If it is the either the cv joint or the center bearing, can these be replaced instead of a new drive shaft? Also, if it's the u joint, can that be replaced? Looks like the bearing caps are pressed?

Thank you,

· Registered
242 Posts
By the book, the whole shaft is non-serviceable, but if I recall correctly, it's also not outrageously priced.

There is an aftermarket center carrier bearing available, but I have never tried to replace it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.