Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 LR3 SE V6 w/Coils & 2008 LR3 SE V8 on 33’s
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m looking for a set of frame mounted rock sliders for the LR3.

Deciding that first, then will move on to front and rear bumpers. I love tactical 4x4 but such a difference in price opposed to the Terrafirma or lucky8’s. I’ve heard the tactical is tough as nails and won’t disappoint. And I love that they also make a rear bumper with matching nerf step on the side for a bit of quarter panel protection and added convenience of having a step slightly lower than the bumper. I don’t love that no one makes a bull bar to match their square tube sliders... all round above the belt up front.

I’d like to hear from other LR3/4 owners who have these installed and your thoughts on the brand you went with.

I actually trail my rig, and with the new larger tires coming next week I will be tackling much more aggressive obstacles soon. But without good sliders I’m not willing to go too crazy just yet!

·
very disco
2,590 Posts
You should check around with local fab shops. I got a bid to custom build and weld on sliders for my D2, and the bid was only $350!

Reactions: PatriotLandyTX

·
Registered
26 Posts
I recently did all three things you're looking at doing.

I installed the Voyager sliders, without steps: LR3 and LR4 Heavy Duty Rocksliders — Voyager Racks Relatively simple to do and they seem pretty stout considering the price.

Tactical Rover with swing-out Rear: https://tactical4x4.com/index.php/product/lr3-rear-bumper/ Beautifully engineered and built. Pretty easy to install but requires an extra set of hands (or two)

Lucky 8 CFE Front Bumper LUCKY 8 LR3 CFE BUMPER. I bought this and a TerraFirma 12K winch at the same time. I'm a pretty novice mechanic so I needed a lot of help from a mechanically inclined friend to get it mounted. I add LED lights Squadron-R Sport, Pair Driving/ Combo LED

Washer bottle relocated:

Mounting winch:

Without additional bashplate installed:

Bashplate installed:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@WestHamPaul thats a good combo. I currently have a 3/4 voyager roof rack and like it enough (except for the feet/mounts that failed) had not looked at their sliders. I’m wanting. Bit of a step, maybe more than just a nerf and an actual checker plate step for the wife that’s 8” shorter than me. It will be in my way but I want her to go on trails with me so it’s a fair trade off.

Talk to me about the difference between your front and rear bumpers.... the thickness of the metal and overall feeling of solid strength. That front bumper & winch combo from L8 is certainly attractive from a price standpoint. But I don’t want to regret not going with what I feel is the standard in the Tactical 4x4 construction quality. But man to do tactical all around is pricey! That cuts down on my available trip funds!

Also, what size tires are those? Great stance from the front.

·
Registered
26 Posts
@PatriotLandyTX A little background might help explain some of my choices. We are in CO and drive a GTR, 911 and an Alfa Quadrifoglio as our fun car daily drivers. They all suck in the snow so, two years ago, we decided to buy an "older SUV" to get back and forth when it gets crappy out and I bought the LR3 with 80K miles for $7500. First time LR owner but we have had built Jeeps in the past so not new to off-roading, etc. We took the LR out a year ago for some easy trails and decided we needed to beef it up a little bit for safety off-road. Rods went on, wheels and tires were added next with the spare ratchet strapped in the rear as a temporary solution. I started looking and the choices for a rear-swing out is pretty limited so I opted to go with the Tactical and pay the price tag with NO intention of ever adding a front bumper and winch. We went out wheeling alone (I know, I know) and ALMOST got stuck in the middle of nowhere and it triggered the front bumper/winch purchase. Now, I explained all that so you know why I settled on the Lucky8 CFE. I went from a relatively inexpensive, back-up, fourth vehicle and ended up putting about $4K of extras into it in one year and adding the Tactical front and winch would add another $2800-3000 to a $7500 truck already with $4K of unplanned extras. I just couldn't see doing it.

I am 100% sure that the Tactical front bumper is a heavier duty bumper than the L8, as it should be for almost twice the money. If I had unlimited funds to dump into a fourth vehicle, I would have gone that route.

The sliders stick out a little bit and a smaller person may be able to find enough of a lip to assist with vehicle entry.

Tires are 275/65R18

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the backstory… Our decisions are always relative to our situation and circumstance. I think that’s why I’m leaning towards waiting on my rear bumper and spending the funds now on the tactical upfront. Currently my 2008 LR3 is both my daily and my trail rig. We live in Texas, and I don’t put that many miles on it as a daily. This is my second LR3 and honestly in better shape than most others I’ve seen. It’s dry as a bone underneath with no leaks. At 200,000 miles I’m still a little shocked at that myself. I would like for this to be the vehicle my family has for fun for a long time to come. Next year I will probably get a different daily driver to preserve this one for trails and mountain trips. That being said, preservation of the vehicle becomes a little higher on my list when considering armor. Another reason I’m ok with sliders hanging out giving me protection against trees and boulders I could slide into. Body work on these trucks is not fun.

I’m sure to cause a stir once the new tires arrive next week... I’ve got General X3’s in 275/70r18 or 33” tall with the red letters in transit. Keeping the 05 SE rims I have for now, but steel wheels are not far off the way these get rock rash so easily. As soon as the rain stops here I’ll be doing the rear heater hose relocate and body trimming to fit these much larger tires. I’ve got the Rhino lift rods on already and the big L8 SYA kit going on before the tires. Between that and the Gap tool I think I can get them to fit. Fingers crossed! If not I’ll be posting those for sale on the overland bound boards.;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the backstory… Our decisions are always relative to our situation and circumstance. I think that’s why I’m leaning towards waiting on my rear bumper and spending the funds now on the tactical upfront. Currently my 2008 LR3 is both my daily and my trail rig. We live in Texas, and I don’t put that many miles on it as a daily. This is my second LR3 and honestly in better shape than most others I’ve seen. It’s dry as a bone underneath with no leaks. At 200,000 miles I’m still a little shocked at that myself. I would like for this to be the vehicle my family has for fun for a long time to come. Next year I will probably get a different daily driver to preserve this one for trails and mountain trips. That being said, preservation of the vehicle becomes a little higher on my list when considering armor. Another reason I’m ok with sliders hanging out giving me protection against trees and boulders I could slide into. Body work on these trucks is not fun.

I’m sure to cause a stir once the new tires arrive next week... I’ve got General X3’s in 275/70r18 or 33” tall with the red letters in transit. Keeping the 05 SE rims I have for now, but steel wheels are not far off the way these get rock rash so easily. As soon as the rain stops here I’ll be doing the rear heater hose relocate and body trimming to fit these much larger tires. I’ve got the Rhino lift rods on already and the big L8 SYA kit going on before the tires. Between that and the Gap tool I think I can get them to fit. Fingers crossed! If not I’ll be posting those for sale on the overland bound boards.;)
I look forward to the pics!

·
Registered
45 Posts

Any update regarding your Grabber X3's? Are they stiff and loud? I will order mud tires from 4wheelonline next month, though I'm not yet decided on what to get. So far, I have two choices-- BFG KM3 and Toyo MT's.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any update regarding your Grabber X3's? Are they stiff and loud? I will order mud tires from 4wheelonline next month, though I'm not yet decided on what to get. So far, I have two choices-- BFG KM3 and Toyo MT's.
These X 3’s are some amazing tires! So I’ve had them on for about 5000 miles now and I could not be happier. They are not stiff at all. I’d say less stiff than the Yokohama all seasons that were on it when I purchased it. More stiff than the Hankook all terrains that we’re on my 05, I moved to this rig temporary (and that’s a good thing.) Off road traction is incredible. Especially in rocks and mud. I’ve had limited exposure to true sand so far, nothing bad to report. My only issue is that wet rocks seem to throw them off more than I’d expected at normal pressure. Not horrible and airing down helps that considerably. I’m on an 18” rim and was shy on going below 30lbs. Turns out 20-22lbs seems to be a sweet spot for me off road.

They were a bit quieter the first 3000 miles. A tad louder now, but still really quiet. More quiet than many all terrains.

My only complaint is the red letters... after a few hard wheeling trips with rocks, the lettering is worn through and now it’s beginning to peal a bit. I’ll be flipping them around before too long I’m sure. A fun look, but not the reason I got the tires.

·
very disco
2,590 Posts
I know they’re not part of this discussion, but they’re rarely ever talked about. I have mastercraft courser MXT on my D2 and they’re really awesome, really grabby, but noisy AF on tarmac

Reactions: PatriotLandyTX
1 - 11 of 11 Posts