Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an Disco 2 owner who has admired the LR3 and LR4 for some time. Problem is that live a couple hundred miles away from the nearest dealer and have been afraid to even consider one due to the electronics. If something goes down, aren't there a lot of things which require the dealer software similar to the P38's? I guess my question is if it is a little crazy to even consider one of these things being so far away from a dealer?

·
Super Trooper
1,176 Posts
Given your situation, if you buy an LR3 buy a Faultmate MSV-2. It will do everything (and more) that the dealer computers can do. It'll set you back about $1,100 but it will be the best money you spend on your Rover. Check out their website to learn more -

Blackbox Solutions

Colin

·
disco biscuit
1,061 Posts
I agree. Its true the lr3 is a lot more electronic in nature but I have heard nothing but good things about them. Idk if its in my area of interest vs the old disco I got as far as price range. But I say to compare it to a p38 is over the top. I have actually rode in a lr4, even further from the off road hardcore, nature of the disco and have heard nothing from owners but good things...aside from diffs on the lr3. But point is, I was still impressed offroad. Soooo... I wouldn't hold too much against em. Hell they hold their value. Gotta say something. A 04 d2 is 5k if I'd give that. I'd give over 14k for a lr3 and not blink an eye. I'd go as far back as 06 on an Lr3 for that....give or take. Just trying to relate to ya the difference.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, is the consensus as long as a person has the above mentioned software tool that they typcial back yard mechanic can work on these things and keep them running? Comapred to the DII, would you rate the LR3 as having worse, better, or similar reliability?

·
1,822 Posts
LR3's are more reliable period!
Dave

·
disco biscuit
1,061 Posts
I didn't have any personal experience in this. Kept me from commenting for a min. But I have looked into it and the Lr3 s are more reliable. Now if we get into the swamp I live in...I say their hardcore defender/disco/rrc have been lost...but I rode in one off road and it seems, without me driving belligerent,(not driving at all) I was really impressed. Seems everyone...jeep grand cherokee , ford, and others Stole from the LR3 enginutiy that was available during the ford, BMW, whatever company now's concept. Look at the grand Cherokee 4x4 controls...looks exactly like the lr3 concept...surprised copyright wasn't involved. The ford escape 4x4 works and sounds exactly like my D2 traction control. All the threads I read prove far more reliability.

GO FOR IT. If I had the money I would. But I think my D2 is far more appropriate for the deer lease if that's what ur askin.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. It's really encouraging to know the LR3 has improved reliability and that you can work on these at home without having to use the dealer.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I wouldn't say the typical back yard mechanic can keep any newer vehicle going on their own for years and years without eventually needing some kind of computer/dealer assistance. The LR3's, particularly newer ones, and even more so the LR4's, are light years ahead of the Disco 1 and 2 in terms of reliability. There is a reason Rover dealerships all over the country used to employ twice as many techs working twice as many hours in the 90's and mid 2000's. It isn't like that any more. My dealer has reported many LR3s and Range Rover sports going well over 100k with nothing but routine maintenance. The LR3 and newer models definitely have more electronics in them than D2's, but no worse than most other vehicles built in the last 5 to 8 years. Don't hesitate to buy one at all, they are great vehicles. But if you want to be at least somewhat self sufficient, listen to Colin and buy the Faultmate or at least the GAP IID tool.

·
Registered
522 Posts
So, is the consensus as long as a person has the above mentioned software tool that they typcial back yard mechanic can work on these things and keep them running? Comapred to the DII, would you rate the LR3 as having worse, better, or similar reliability?
My main concern would be being able to reset or read a fault code, and reset the service warning. I think more often than not, the code readers send people on a wild goose chase. I don't know if the Faultmate is the way to go, if there are other options, check with Justin @ lucky8llc to see what he's got. The faultmate is good, however you practically need to start another hobby, in order to figure out how to keep the thing (faultmate) working and updated, and there is no US based service center. The software is old, qwirky and requires a lot of screwing around to get it working... Otherwise it's great..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts