Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 LR3 V8. I am in the process of purchasing a boat and trailer that will have a total weight of 3,500 to 4,000lbs. I cannot use trailer brakes because I will be launching on the beach.

The LR3 manual says maximum towing capacity untrailered is 1,650lbs. My question is ..... do any of you have experience or thoughts about the LR3's ability to tow a 4,000lb boat/trailer without trailer brakes? It seems to me that it should have enough power to do this but the potential concern is braking. The good news for me is I don't have to drive that far to launch at the beach so if I drive slow I am thinking I should be okay.

Thanks for any responses.

· Registered
242 Posts
I don't tow often, but why can't you use a trailer brake on the beach? I understand not using a surge brake, but with a brake controller setup, I don't see the problem.
Anyway, yeah, the LR3 isn't made for it, but it will pull it fine and the trucks brakes are good, so stopping only becomes a real issue if the trailer tries to push out, or you're on a nice hill.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I am told by many other Dory fishermen who launch on the beach that trailer brakes don't work. I haven't discussed with them in detail but I think it's because when they are backed in the ocean and the axle is submerged for launching that saltwater and sand gets in the brakes. Once that happens they either don't work or get ruined.

· Registered
210 Posts
Almost every boat trailer I have ever launched or help launch in the ocean has had trailer brakes. A lot of boats are heavy enough you would be crazy not to use trailer brakes. I am not sure why they're telling you that you can't use a trailer brake but I wouldn't hesitate to. Salt is corrosive to anything in general so rinsing everything off immediately if possible will go a long way. LR3's go through brakes quickly anyway so if you're towing without trailer brakes be prepared for frequent brake replacement.

· Registered
408 Posts
That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

A good friend of mine has a 55' gas turbine powerboat that he launches from a trailer. Trailer and boat are well north of 10k pounds, there's no way that his F350 Super Duty is going to tow it without using trailer brakes. The trailer and boat would launch him through the first stop sign he attempted.

· Registered
242 Posts
The only reason I see for not being able to, or being told not to use them, is if they're talking about surge brakes, which would lock when they hit sand and need to be pushed through.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies. I guess I have some more research to do as to why the Dory fishermen who launch in the surf don't recommend trailer brakes.

Having said that back to my original question .... if I am pulling a boat and trailer that weighs 3,500 - 4,000 lbs do you think I can do that with my LR3 V8? Seems like it should have the power, the issue is going to be braking. As I mentioned I don't have to drive that far to the beach and I could drive slowly :)

· Registered
408 Posts
I'm basing this on my D2, but you can easily pull that much weight. That said, I really wouldn't attempt to go any real distance without trailer brakes, as it will take you substantially longer to stop with that kind of weight behind you, as well as the risk of the trailer pushing you off to the side under hard braking without trailer brakes.

· Registered
210 Posts
You can easily tow 4000lbs with it, it's a matter of safety and wear and tear on the vehicle. Your brakes won't be happy and do you feel safe going into a corner and having to stop quickly or swerve with an un-braked 4k lb. trailer behind you that wants to keep pushing?

The vehicle has the power, it's up to you if you how well you want to treat your LR3 and how safe you want to be.

· Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2006 LR3 V8. I am in the process of purchasing a boat and trailer that will have a total weight of 3,500 to 4,000lbs. I cannot use trailer brakes because I will be launching on the beach.

The LR3 manual says maximum towing capacity untrailered is 1,650lbs. My question is ..... do any of you have experience or thoughts about the LR3's ability to tow a 4,000lb boat/trailer without trailer brakes? It seems to me that it should have enough power to do this but the potential concern is braking. The good news for me is I don't have to drive that far to launch at the beach so if I drive slow I am thinking I should be okay.

Thanks for any responses.
Hey Roverfish,

I have a 2006 LR3 V8 SE - I tow a 4300 pound 21 foot boat with it regularly and have done so for 3 years without issue, however the boat trailer does have a surge brake on it. Most states have varying trailer laws that dictate the trailer weight/brake requirement - at 4000 pounds for boat/trailer I would expect you to be in violation of those laws in many states. The LR3 will have no problem power wise with towing it - you'll barely even feel it's there, your issue will be the brakes not the weight. Happy to answer any other questions on your setup.

Stuart

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.