Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, I apparently lost all of my credentials and had to start a new account so I am not a complete newb. Our latest LR is a 2006 LR3 SE V6. We've previously had a '87 Rangie with 346K miles, a '02 Freelander, a '97 Disco, and an '04 Disco. For the first time, I am fairly stumped...
All of a sudden our LR3 has a weird whine at idle. I know the V6 is not real popular or well known but has anyone come across anything like this? Belt seems fine. Could it be a tensioner? We are about to buy a house so I am trying to be cheap right now. LOL

·
Registered
242 Posts
The video does not help much to isolate it, but it does sound like a pulley.

Take a long screw driver, or yard stick, and carefully touch each pulley (most have a center bolt that doesn't turn) and on the components (AC compressor, P/S pump) touch right behind the pulley. The noise will transfer to the 'stick' and you should be able to isolate where the noise is coming from. There is nothing terribly common.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When mine made that sound it was the alternator on its way out. you can also get a sound stethoscope at any parts store to help track it down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would echo the comment about the alternator. While I couldn't really hear it in the video you posted, a high-pitched whine is exactly what mine did before the alternator died.

~JB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts