Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for those with LR3's with a V8.
What is your milage at this point?
What things have you had to do at 120K plus miles?
I am almost at 100K and planing to keep it for another 100K if possible.
Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
525 Posts
150k.. I hope you have changed your transmission fluid, if not, that's first priority. Diff oil ever 30k or so, transfer box ever 60k or so.

Have you done your belts, and stuff.. You are probably at the stage where it is time to change out all the hoses, brake lines, and so on. When I did the belts, I did all the tensioners as well.

Recently did a little top end work, new intake seals, VVT seals, oil filler and that sort of thing, which eliminated the bit of seepage. Replaced all the hoses, and they were overdue by a lot. Also did the water pump at the same time.

·
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did the Trans fluid and filter in Cali at 85K, also did the diffs again at 85K, TC case at 90K and all fluids. Did Belts, but did not do Tensioners and new Pulley, doing them this week coming up. I have not done Hoses or break lines yet. Checked them and seemed good.
Dave

·
Registered
525 Posts
I did my hoses at 140, notably, much of the plastic keepers had fallen apart. Upon removal of the old stuff, there were a couple that were rubbing together. They had not failed, but it was clear it was only a matter of time. Just something to keep in mind..

It sounds like you are on top of things though, so you are probably in good shape.

·
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TLT What year is your LR3?
My LR3 has been very reliable and I rather be on top of it and keep it that way for my long road trips from NYC to Los Angeles and back which I make every winter up to 3 times to twice a year in winter storms and some off roading in Cali.
I am looking at a 09 RR Full Size with 114K thinking of getting it for my girlfriend, but wondering how much I would have to take care of since it has high miles for that year. But I hear that RR full size from 07-09 have been very reliable and is the same 4.4 as the LR3 so I know the quirks and know now what to look at.
Dave

·
Registered
525 Posts
2005, and aside from all the common issues I've been good. I wouldn't be afraid of 119k at all, assuming it's not obviously beat to crap, and you know the common stuff that may need attention. Service records are always a plus.. If a seller can't demonstrate the typical stuff has been done, they should price it accordingly..

·
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BTW my girlfriend and I always enjoy passing through Texas, great food and very nice people.
Wondering how gear oils holds up best with less years and more milage or more years and less milage?
at 114K Not beaten up, but def driven, dealer has no info on diffs, tc, trans, plugs, belts changes. It could have been done, but dealer and CarFax have no info on it. All service was done till 65K at LR dealer. He could have gone to an indy and not reported it to CarFax. I would have dealer do Diffs, TC, plugs, belts, rotors and pads. Trans somewhere else. Body and all elec are working properly, no chk engine lights, iradic idel when on a stop, but again that could be needing a tune up and reprograming. Needs rotors, an aligment, possibly lower front bushings, but they would do this.
Dave

·
Registered
525 Posts
It's real nice here, drop me a line next time you're passin' through. If you haven't been to Austin you've missed the best part.

It sounds like they should be pricing it pretty fairly... If the diffs are not noisy, you are probably good... maybe they've been changed.. Was this a trade it or a dump off at a car seller.

·
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Total overkill, but at least done!
So the tensioners and ideler pulley where all in good conditions, but I still replaced them all. Also did a Computer test and the rover is running great. These V8 4.4 LR3 trucks are deff the most reliable Land Rover has possibly ever built. Wondering how the 5.0 LR4 will stand past 10 years and 100K miles.
Dave

TLT next time I am on my way to Texas I will let you know. Would like to see Austin I hear great things!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.