Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The spare tire winch on my 2008 LR3 is no longer working after one use (surprise, surprise). I poked my head under there, is it really as easy as taking off those six bolts and it will come loose? Can anyone confirm this who has replaced their winch?

Also, has anyone repaired their winch or should I just get a new one?

Thanks-

·
Registered
651 Posts
Buy a new tyre winch.

Everybody has replaced the spare tyre winch; well it seems that way, and if they have not, they just do not know that it does not work.

I purchased my new genuine one from BP Utah and for once, replacement is a clean hands not too difficult task. The winches are effectively not repairable.

You just need a nice day and a clean surface to lay on under the rear and a metric socket - forget what size but the task is almost pleasant.

The newer winches may be an improved design however once you have the new one installed, do not let the local tyre shop use their impact wrench on it to suck the spare back up. If so, you will at least be more experienced the second time re replacement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bbyer, thanks for the reply, that's what I figured the answer was, but I thought I would check.

I think I will put a sign under the carpet, on top of the winch that says "HAND TOOLS ONLY NO IMPACT WRENCH" so this doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine just curled around itself. Easily removes with 10mm wrench. it's 1 piece. replacement part is $250. Can anyone tried a cheaper replacement?

·
Registered
15 Posts
OK, this was a bitch to fix but the winch is fixable. I fixed mine by taking the winch apart. you have to knock out the 4 rivets that hold it together. once removed everything pops out. There is a plastic guide that broke - it guides the cable in and out - so remember not to over turn this when you raise up your winch with weight on it. My cable wrapped around it self and squished the plastic guide. you'll have to pry apart the cable with a flat head screw driver to undo the cable and pull down on the cable with your weight behind it and it will come back down; put it back together then wind it up with the the wrench provided. there are no rivets so be careful it could come apart but it won't once you bolt it back under the truck. put your tire back and wind it up slowly and Bob's your Uncle. hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Spare Wheel Winch Repair Procedure LR3/4 RR Sport

Gooday,
I know its been done to death, but I've written a repair procedure that may be of interest and save a few bucks. Good luck. Contact me and I will send PDF attachment. Its to big to attach here unfortunately.
Cheers from Oz:wave:

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm probably one of those people who has one that doesn't work and I dont' know it yet. On that note, will a full size stock tire size mounted on a full size stock wheel fit down there? Thank you

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Eniam17,
I have 255/60R18 Continental AT tyre on an 18" rim and it fits fine underneath my 2008 LR3. I'll try and reduce my repair attachment and post it again.
Cheers
Crjstalfb

·
Registered
207 Posts
Great, thank you for the reply.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Gooday,
I know its been done to death, but I've written a repair procedure that may be of interest and save a few bucks. Good luck. Contact me and I will send PDF attachment. Its to big to attach here unfortunately.
Cristalfb,
mine just froze up . . . do you have a link to your repair procedure?

Thanks,

-David

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would it be possible for you to send me the repair guide as my wheel winch has frozen due to it being removed with a rattle gun
Many thanks, Shane

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi

The winch is a common problem unless you follow the simple procedure of keeping tension on the cable when winding up or down. Mine did seize originally and I thought it was done for but I just attached weights to the end (couldn't get the tyre on due to height) and slowly wound up and down until it just guided itself back on. Easy as, but as long as you dont keep trying to wind on once its jammed. I know others who have kept winding on and just crushed up inside the winch, then a few hundred $$$ replacement is needed.

Phil

·
Registered
651 Posts
Below is a jpg of the tyre winch.

Parts numbers vary but may be LR024145, LR010453 and KT1000017 or others.

I am not certain that repair is all that feasible but replacement is pretty easy.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Winch repair

Hi

I have a 2008 LR3 Wich is no longer working
Removed it. Opened it up ( take out punched pins...)
It appears the spindel is moving loose.. no snagged cable or anything).
Just can not figure out how it suppose to work. can find andy broken parts..)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Winch Repair PDF

Gooday,
Hi there,
I am currently in that situation where I'd like to repair my winch. Can you kindly send me the pdf to repair it?

Thanks,
SB.:smile

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone got the rapir procedure that they can please post here ?

I did find youtube video that involves opening it up ..

Mine works thro limited range so likely just bound up. I'm going to try to pull hard whilst winding down. If that does not work then looks like I will have to take it off. $300+ for replacement is PITA to pay for Land Rover design problem.

Side issue - given spare has bigger centre hole then regular wheel getting the plug through the hole seems a problem. What am I missing here ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Spare Wheel Winch Repair Procedure LR3/4 RR Sport

Gooday,
Hi @cristalfb -- I realize this is an old post, but if you still have the PDF for the LR3/4 RR sport winch replacement, please send. Thank you!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts