Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dad LR3's air suspension broke twice already, i think both times air compresor broke.
i drove it w. broken suspension i hated it so much you can feel every lil bump.
whatever, it got fixed, but whats wrong w/it happed twice already.
anyone ?

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Unfortunately, I think your post is only the beginning,,,

Bottom line is "stuff" breaks. The more "stuff" they engineer into trucks, the more "stuff" to break. That's why most on this board feel that simpler is better. LR seems to be going in the opposite direction...

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
The compressor is a known issue on the LR3. It even happened to me when I drove one as a loaner. They supposedly have a recall or updated part for it now.

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Recalls sure suck when you are 100 miles from nowhere on a 60 degree rocky slope pointed downhill and your suspension won't flex,,, :confused

I'm not dogging the LR3, it's a great SUV. Just wish LR would sell a barer-bones model, more mod-friendly, less electrical. But,,, this point has been beat to freakin' death so I'll stop.

·
Registered
222 Posts
SCSL said:
I'm not dogging the LR3, it's a great SUV. Just wish LR would sell a barer-bones model, more mod-friendly, less electrical. But,,, this point has been beat to freakin' death so I'll stop.
I don't think it's on sale as an LR3, since it's a diesel, but LR do offer a basic model Discovery, with coil/wishbone suspension, not airbags. Its only available with the TdV6 engine, manual gearbox and 5 seats, and Terrain Response is not an option (because there's no suspension to adjust).

It is intended for the commercial market, but I have not found a single review of it (for the obvious reason that LR prefer to give the press high-spec models to impress them). Given that the Disco 3 relies heavily on cross-linked suspension, adjustable ride height etc. etc. off-road, I imagine it's fairly mediocre in the mud. Good concept though.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Welcome to air ride... The air shocks are useless... I don't know if OME makes a kit for the LR3 yet but if/when they do invest in it.. My parents 97 RR air shocks have always been trouble. Since the RR in not under any type of warrenty next problem that happens we are putting the OME kit on, like we did in our '95 LWB.. Stay away from the air ride and you'll be just fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
SCSL said:
i hope the next defender (or even freelander) could somewhat fill this void... i love the LR3, but i want a car in $35K US range, where the disco 1 used to be, and in that size as well.... i dont want 7 passengers, i dont need navi (although it is a great option), give me an engine that hauls and the offroad capability that made LR famous, without all this techonological nonsense

·
Registered
1 Posts
Air suspension problems???!!!

I own a new Land Rover TDV6 and I go off-road very often. The air suspension is realy awesome and I cannot imagine that it could have any problem , at least for the next 5 years! I think you probably talk for another model , definetly before 2004. The new LRIII is a real battle vehicle with great electronic systems that just cannot malfunction.

·
Registered
622 Posts
SCSL said:
Unfortunately, I think your post is only the beginning,,,

Bottom line is "stuff" breaks. The more "stuff" they engineer into trucks, the more "stuff" to break. That's why most on this board feel that simpler is better. LR seems to be going in the opposite direction...
You are exactly right, SCSL. I'm so glad I got the "S" model now that I'm modifying my Disco. There are many more possibilities than with a more "loaded" model.

·
Registered
622 Posts
jesusfreak said:
my dad LR3's air suspension broke twice already, i think both times air compresor broke.
i drove it w. broken suspension i hated it so much you can feel every lil bump.
whatever, it got fixed, but whats wrong w/it happed twice already.
anyone ?
I know there is another threat about the LR3 on the site. The last time I reviewed it there was some pretty good discussion going on in regard to pros and cons with that particular rig....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.