Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 LR4 HSE 115k miles with a new noise after a really cold start. Recently had chain and tensioners replaced, confident it isn't that.

Leaning towards it being the fan clutch based on some searches. I'll get a video uploaded of my own engine. But until then if you search "2011 LR4 5.0 ticking knocking cold noise" on youtube there is a post with the exact same noise.

The clicking does not increase with RPMs, very consistent noise, pretty rythmic clack, almost sounds like a clock ticking. 1 of the video comments suggested Fan Clutch.
I've also read that the fuel pumps can be noisy, but since they're cam following and this noise does not follow RPMs I doubt it's the pumps.

Anyone else think that it's the fan clutch? Any other testing I can do to check it out? Appreciate the help, Thanks!

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
Cold temps and a odd noise is usually the hi pressure fuel pump making noise. If it goes away when the temp goes up it is most likely your culprit

·
1,783 Posts
2011 LR4 HSE 115k miles with a new noise after a really cold start. Recently had chain and tensioners replaced, confident it isn't that.

Leaning towards it being the fan clutch based on some searches. I'll get a video uploaded of my own engine. But until then if you search "2011 LR4 5.0 ticking knocking cold noise" on youtube there is a post with the exact same noise.

The clicking does not increase with RPMs, very consistent noise, pretty rythmic clack, almost sounds like a clock ticking. 1 of the video comments suggested Fan Clutch.
I've also read that the fuel pumps can be noisy, but since they're cam following and this noise does not follow RPMs I doubt it's the pumps.

Anyone else think that it's the fan clutch? Any other testing I can do to check it out? Appreciate the help, Thanks!
At what milage did you do your timing chain tensioners. Is it true that 2013 models had the tensioners replaced by LR? If its the Fan Clutch I would just change it ASAP.
Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cold temps and a odd noise is usually the hi pressure fuel pump making noise. If it goes away when the temp goes up it is most likely your culprit
Well it did go away with an increase in temperature. Garaged the truck last night, no noises on the morning commute. However sitting outside at 15 degrees F, all day today, might bring it back.

If it is the Fuel pump though, shouldn't the ticking be tied to engine RPMs? It is very rhythmic and consistent.

At what milage did you do your timing chain tensioners. Is it true that 2013 models had the tensioners replaced by LR? If its the Fan Clutch I would just change it ASAP.
Dave
SafariDave, chain tensioners were done at an independent shop at 114k miles. Basically last month, I've only put 1k miles on it since then. If it's the Fan Clutch I am worried. I felt no wobble in the fan last night. And it's gone away now that the car didn't sit outside in below 0 temps.

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
Not really the high pressure pump is a just a booster as I understand it so it runs at a pretty set clip.

·
1,783 Posts
Take it back to the shop that did the tensioners to have it diagnosed that its not the tensioners.
I like the LR4 and still interested in owning one, but the expensive tensioner issue, the water pump issue, plus the diffs, it seems like just too many things go wrong compared to the LR3.
Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm,

I'm confident it isn't the chain tensioner, guides, or chain itself.

I'm very torn between whether it could be a fuel pump or the viscous fan clutch. No other ideas beyond this. If it comes back tonight after sitting cold all day I will get a video.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts