Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 d2 that has almost 90k on it, been junk since I got it.

It's had a blown head gasket in the past and some minor transmission issues, but thats just a little backinfo on it.

For the past month I've been letting my wife's father barrow the truck until he is able to get his own vehicle. Today they called saying that it was smelling funny and shifting hard, my immediate thought was that they burnt up the transmission. The continue to drive it for the rest of the day, because I guess my things dont matter.

I got to the truck a while after the got home and started to look at it. I cranked the truck up and began to drive it, but it was very sluggish and I noticed the check engine light flash. I turned back around before even making it good out of the driveway (less than 1000 feet) and parked it to go get my scanner and read the codes, when I got out I heard a knock, but it was coming from the engine. I began searching for it and noticed it was much louder on the bottom side of the engine. Tomorrow I will record it and post it. At that point I turned the truck off and read the codes, cylinder 1/4/6/7 all read misfiring (cleared and ran it again to the same codes) as well as p1300 and an o2 sensor (the sensor one was previously on, though I dont know how long becaue they never told me it was on, I just happend to see it on one day and checked it)

I have an idea of what it might be, but I would very much like the input of some of the more rover knowledgeable people on here. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I attached the codes in the original post, but they are as follows

P1300: powertrain
P0301: Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
P0304: Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
P0306: Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected
P0307: Cylinder 7 Misfire Detected
P0300: Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0130: O2 Sensor Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Sounds pretty nasty.. Can you isolate where it is coming from . Hard to really pick it out on video sound
Water pump or other driven component?
Valve cover area?
Bottom end?
If it was overheated and driven all day that way it's likely cooked and beyond gaskets but hard to verify for you.
How is the oil?, coolant?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's coming from the bottom of the engine. The oil doesn't appear to have any metal anything in it, though I haven't drained it to see. Its the color it should be as well. Water is fine and totoo my knowledge it wasn't overheated.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Unless they fell to the bottom of the engine that's not it.
What makes you think it is a ltappet / lifter? If it's the bottom it's likely a bearing to rod . Is it constant? Does it increase and get louder on a throttle snap?
Not what you want to hear but it sounds like a catastrophic failure.
You started your post stating "it has been junk since you got it". ..... That may nowbe accurate

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It doesn't sound loud enough to be a rod knock, you can't hear it from the top of the engine. Only the bottom and the sides. It goes away at 2k rpm but returns when its back down under. I noticed that it's for small metal shavings coming out of the exhaust. It looks to be the same stuff that was in the head gasket fix I used a couple of months back, but I dont know if it is. The metal is very shiny, non rusted, and is about the size of glitter.

·
Registered
255 Posts
It doesn't sound loud enough to be a rod knock, you can't hear it from the top of the engine. Only the bottom and the sides. It goes away at 2k rpm but returns when its back down under. I noticed that it's for small metal shavings coming out of the exhaust. It looks to be the same stuff that was in the head gasket fix I used a couple of months back, but I dont know if it is. The metal is very shiny, non rusted, and is about the size of glitter.
Glitter? Might be why it's also called the Disco? As stated by others if the noise is low in the block, comes and goes with RPM, it's likely a rotating part that's not quite right i.e. a rod or main (with a bad bearing shell), a loose torque convertor @ the flex plate, bad timing chain or cracked oil pump ring gear. Not all rod knocks are drum banging loud, but all are catastrophic whether they are present only at idle or not. This is what is known as a time bomb. You should be able to verify the rods by moving them by hand, the one or more with the most lateral run out is the culprit, it likely will not be all of them if it's a rod, if you find a loose one, pull the lower half of the rod cap off and look at the bearing, or pull them all and look, replace them if you have to, if the thing lets go at speed, you can kiss the block goodbye if it's a rod, if it's a main, it's trashed as well.

I have loose noise in mine at an idle after it's driven, it's about to get new bearings as soon as I get a couple questions answered. Good luck with yours.

Doug

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I figured out (when I noticed what cylinders were misfiring) that the coil pack for those cylinders had come undone. It stopped most of the knock, but there's still a little tap, it sounds like a siphon hose (the ones with the glass ball) but a lot slower. It seems to continue with the engine through and not die off as it throttles up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally figured it out, catalytic converter is breaking apart. I was listening to it earlier and noticed it wasn't coming from the engine, but coming from further back. At first I thought transmission, then I thought transfer case. It wound up being the catalytic converter on the passanger side. Revved it up to about 4k rpm and it shot some debris into the muffler. Thank you all for your input, did the best you could from over the internet. (The original knock was because of the misfires)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.